Talk

Advanced search

Making good use of the cupboard under the stairs

(11 Posts)
workatemylife Mon 19-Jan-15 15:00:15

Our stairs rise out of the entrance hall, and underneath is a decent space, but much of it is not very accessible. There is a door at the front, and inside our fuse box, gas / electric meters etc. The door is just over headheight to me (so about 175cm) but the cupboard ceiling obviously gets lower further back or 'downstairs'. At the moment, we have a shoe-rack just inside the door, and the back of the cupboard is filled with stuff - walking gear that comes out 2x a year, kids summer toys etc. We need to put these somewhere, but I'm going to make that somewhere else - loft, upstairs, garage etc.

So, can you lovely people advise on how to make the best use of the space once the clutter is gone? Ideally, I'd like to be able to store more shoes (for DCs and adults), DCs coats, school PE bags etc in their. Can you get shelves in a triangle shape? Would I be better with pegs on the wall? One wall is wood, filling the gap between the edge of the stairs and the hallway, and the other wall has all the pipework / cabling in it for gas and electric, so drilling into it is probably a bad plan. Hanging things from the ceiling is also probably a bad idea, since the ceiling is basically the staircase. Or am I being pessimistic? I like the idea of making it a useable space, but if the only storage option is the floor, that's not great.

Ideas / advice / photos of solutions all much appreciated. Very limited budget though, unless I can Ebay the DCs junk for enough to cover the costs smile

limesoda Mon 19-Jan-15 15:43:13

Can you shelve it and still actually be able to walk in to access stuff? My husband built ivar shelves from ikea and just hacked them down to size as neccessary in our last house. I then painted them white. We didn't have the space for any doors or anything, so I used baskets to store hats/gloves/whatever, made a display of our motorbike helmets, and then added a couple of hooks where I hung shopping bags and stuff from.

CiderwithBuda Mon 19-Jan-15 16:00:24

Look on Pinterest for under stair cupboards. Lots of ideas on there.

There are companies that will make made to measure drawer units that slide out - you will see them on Pinterest too.

Lazymummy2014 Mon 19-Jan-15 16:02:53

A bedroom for the underage wizard nephew you've been lumbered with? wink

SaidFlorence Mon 19-Jan-15 16:11:56

I would love something like this

morethanpotatoprints Mon 19-Jan-15 16:24:09

Is it big enough for a bed? Worked for Harry potter! grin

workatemylife Mon 19-Jan-15 16:40:51

DCs would love it if master Potter moved in grin

I like that link to the pull out shelves but perhaps a trip to Ikea or similar would be cheaper. I will check that shelves plus person actually fit though -thanks for the warning smile

mandy214 Mon 19-Jan-15 18:10:58

This

Flomple Mon 19-Jan-15 19:36:08

Big shelves stacked with big plastic boxes, clear (eg ikea samla) and/or labelled. Consider blocking off the far end with block of shelving, eg 2x2 kallax. Would trofast stepped unit help into the corner?

This is all v dull though. I'm sold on the wine.

workatemylife Mon 19-Jan-15 21:35:59

And the wine rack has it. Who needs to be able to find their shoes in the morning anyway?!

gamerchick Mon 19-Jan-15 21:38:15

Zombie cupboard grin an extra pantry comes in handy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: