Advanced search

Don't like grout, can't afford glass, too messy for paint...what would you put in your new kitchen?

(12 Posts)
MothershipG Sat 17-Jan-15 17:04:38

Hoping to get an extension and new kitchen this year. I'm watching all the threads about acrylic splashbacks etc.

Just wondering if anyone else had any fabby ideas?

I quite like the idea of matching laminate worktops and splashbacks like this but I prefer laminiate that isn't pretending to be wood or stone.

If I won the lottery I'd have stainless steel worktops and glass splash backs, how can I achieve a similar look on a budget? (Crosses fingers for tonight's draw!) smile

wonkylegs Sat 17-Jan-15 17:22:42

I only have paint except for behind the hob where I have glass. It wasn't that expensive as it's only a small area and our kitchen guy got it from a glazier & painted the back to match the wall it looks fab.

Lelivre Sat 17-Jan-15 17:26:58

Following - in the same boat. Although I have met some laminate I quite like, which is textured and has a solid surface square edge, also there is an option of a metal edge by getalit. I plan to paint and get tiles when and if we have the money. My first preference is Brazilian slate which happens to be a great match colour wise to my units. Then I also like stainless steel.

Hope you get some inspired ideas here!

Lelivre Sat 17-Jan-15 17:28:56

Wonkylegs, I wondered if it would be that easy! How did he apply the paint to get it just right?

MothershipG Sat 17-Jan-15 17:35:40

A bit of my existing kitchen, away from the hob, is only's not a pretty sight, it's supposed to be washable paint but it still looks grubby.

I can afford some glass for behind the hob but all of the rest of the walls (that would usually be tiled) need something.

wowfudge Sun 18-Jan-15 08:58:12

How about laminate upstands and then splashback in the material of your choice behind the hob and the sink (if needed)?

MothershipG Sun 18-Jan-15 09:39:43

I'm messy fudge I'm the sort of cook who forgets to put the splatter guard on her Kenwood and then has a pebble dashing of chocolate cake batter all over the wall. My kitchen walls need protecting! The usual solution is obviously tiles, but then we're back to my grout issues...

wowfudge Sun 18-Jan-15 09:49:06

Use big tiles. Go for grout that isn't white.

sacbina Sun 18-Jan-15 10:25:39

I too hate the fake stone/wood look and just wanted a plain matt laminate. we just installed a Wilsonart 'Designer Black' laminate. they also do white. the laminate is really nice, big chunky 50mm, square edged. we put in just upstands but they have larger area splashbacks too. not all laminates have an effect, they're just hard to find!

TheWildRumpyPumpus Sun 18-Jan-15 10:48:44

We had grey grout throughout and it never looked mucky, I used a steamer on it every 6 months or so just to get any ingrained dirt off but it always looked fine.

Marmitelover55 Sun 18-Jan-15 11:15:56

We have glass behind our cooker (lovely) and granite upstands every where else. Am thinking of tiling behind sink though as wall keeps getting splashed and I have to keep re painting it (we have Dulux Tumeless Matt emulsion as it's a big open plan room, so didn't want vinyl silk).

MothershipG Sun 18-Jan-15 14:27:18

I just don't like grout, I've even tried sparkly grout in our en suite (that amused the builder smile) if it's white it looks mucky and if it's grey or beige or whatever it just looks dingey to me, so tiles are out.

Paint is out because I'm too messy.

Glass is out because I didn't win the lottery last night.

Anyone got anything else? Laminate wall panels? Acrylic? Pictures of cows and want to share?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now