Talk

Advanced search

Anyone know about boilers? Mines playing up!!!

(3 Posts)
ladybird69 Fri 16-Jan-15 21:56:21

The pilot is on but it's just not firing up! The toilet cistern is playing up too could they be linked? Or am I just doubly unlucky (and freezing)
TIA

PigletJohn Fri 16-Jan-15 23:57:45

It has a pilot light, so is presumably quite old. I will guess that you have a hot water cylinder. Old iron boilers are relatively simple. If the pilot light is staying on I can't guess what it might be.

If the cylinder is hot but the radiators are cold, try operating the timer and the room stat until they click, see if it makes any difference.

If the cylinder is cold, I hope you have an immersion heater and an electric heater, then you can get by until it's mended.

Bleed the highest radiator in the house and see if water squirts out forcefully, and without the pressure dying away.

ladybird69 Tue 20-Jan-15 00:16:33

Hi Pigletjohn thanks for your reply. It's a very old boiler, the house was built in 79 and I think it's the original boiler. Someone told me to run the hot tap as it worked with her dads old Boiler, which I did and now touch wood it's working again. Thank the Lord as I can't afford to replace it. I'd need to sell a kidney!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: