Advanced search

Choosing 'brands' for big plumbing/heating items

(12 Posts)
MaryShelley Thu 15-Jan-15 21:54:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FWPConfused Fri 16-Jan-15 21:10:01

No idea about the boiler/cylinder (those think megaflo is a brand name). We have underfloor heating all controlled by an Uponor controller/thermostat.

Hopefully this will bump the thread for you.

MaryShelley Fri 16-Jan-15 22:09:35

MoreBeta Fri 16-Jan-15 22:13:17

Worcester Bosch boiler. Not cheap but very good.

With underfloor heating you will need a big capacity. I have a 40kw floor standing gas combi Worceser Bosch. Is the biggest you can get. You can get an oil version.

How big is your house?

MoreBeta Fri 16-Jan-15 22:15:21

If possible put a big megaflo tank next to your boiler to make sure you get instant hot water.

PigletJohn is the MN poster you need to contact on this he is plumbing and building genius. He/she is in the trade.

PigletJohn Fri 16-Jan-15 23:42:35

you say you want an external oil boiler. I know nothing about them. If you are off gas you are perhaps in a country area, so ask around locally for a recommended local oil person who will maintain it for years to come, and see what they recommend. It should preferably be someone younger than you, so they will still be in business when you are getting on.

I am sure Santon unvented cylinders are just as good as Megaflo. Be sure to get two immersion heaters in it, one near the top and one near the bottom, then you will have hot water even when your boiler breaks down. If you have a large roof and one day get solar panels, you may be able to heat it with your own electricity. Get a good big one. It will be heavy so put it on a concrete ground floor if you can, and certainly not in the loft. It is possible to heat them from a multifuel stove as well as your oil burner, provided you say so during design.

Get the installer to measure your dynamic water flow at the kitchen cold tap. You need good flow as well as pressure to get the best out of an unvented cylinder, and might have to run a new pipe to the watermain in the road.

If you go for UFH, a wet system is reasonable cost if planned in before you pour or lay your floors; but very expensive afterwards. Insist on a comprehensive leak test before the floor goes on top.

You can calculate the power of boiler you need with a tool such as this. A little extra capacity will be useful in unusually cold weather, but a vastly oversized boiler is money wasted. You can have radiators that add up to more than the boiler capacity, the way radiator output is calculated overestimates their real output, and larger ones will give you a more regular temperature, and can heat a few rooms faster e.g. if you come home after being away all week.

specialsubject Sat 17-Jan-15 12:11:44

for oil (I live 'off gas') the answer seems to be Worcester, end of.

make sure it is installed by a person who is both OFTEC and Worcester registered. You should get a five year guarantee. Both OTEC and Worcester have online lists of suitable technicians.

oil boilers MUST be serviced annually. As PJ says, there is usually a local chap who has the area sewn up. Get it installed in the summer so the service is also in the summer, when the chaps are twiddling their thumbs.

currently oil is the cheapest heating fuel, as cost per unit heat. As you probably know, keep an eye on prices and tank up appropriately. Don't use a standing order scheme.

MaryShelley Sat 17-Jan-15 14:56:26

PigletJohn Sat 17-Jan-15 15:07:11

the Megaflo, or other brand, is a hot water cylinder, so it supplies hot water to the taps. That's it. It is an unvented cylinder, so it runs at mains pressure, so it gives (subject to your water supply) a powerful shower. It is usual to get a large one. Being well insulated, it will stay hot all day (or until you use it all) so you don't need to keep running the boiler for short periods, which is uneconomical. Used with a modern boiler, it will probably go from cold to hot within 40 minutes.

250 litres is a popular size. It weighs a quarter of a tonne. A bath uses about 100 litres. For best economy, it should be close to the hot tap you use most often. The flow and return pipes to the boiler will be hot so must be well lagged.

You can have a drencher shower if you want, but it uses a lot of hot water so is wasteful.

PigletJohn Sat 17-Jan-15 15:14:39

I forgot to say, unvented cylinders in the UK (probably in Europe generally) are AFAIK always white. You may sometimes see me asking people what colour their cylinder is.

MaryShelley Sun 18-Jan-15 10:23:16

PigletJohn Sun 18-Jan-15 10:36:57

Have another look at the spec.

I think you will find the pressure cylinder is stainless steel, and the casing around the insulation is enameled.

The plumber is surely going to charge you a price that varies with the cost of materials, so a cheaper cylinder will give a cheaper price.

Look up the guarantee length.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now