Talk

Advanced search

Chimney breast removal

(4 Posts)
BingBong36 Thu 15-Jan-15 21:32:57

Hi,

Has anyone removed a chimney breast?

My son is in a box room and removing the chimney breast will allow him to have a wardrobe,

Has anyone done this and what would the rough cost be , and where do I start ??

Any advice welcome

Thank you

cooper44 Thu 15-Jan-15 22:03:02

think it depends on what's above/if it's a party wall etc.
we took one out with neither of the above complications and it was dead simple. builder did it pretty quickly - had to do a some work to the chimney above but I remember it being pretty straight-forward and not very expensive.

BingBong36 Fri 16-Jan-15 06:53:20

Thanks for your reply. The chimney above is shared with the neighbour but it is no a working chimney.

One builder that came over said to take the whole chimney breast out, re tile the roof and make good the neighbours chimney.

I got quoted 2,500 inc plastering , seemed excessive considering the chimney in question is around 4 feet wide and very shallow.

Any other advice welcome ?

Thanks all

Marmitelover55 Fri 16-Jan-15 07:59:27

Can't really help I'm afraid, but our architect said it would be expensive to remove ours when we were doing a kitchen diner extension. This was downstairs though, so there was a chimney breast in the bedroom above but no chimney above that, as it had already been removed.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: