Talk

Advanced search

Gas Rayburn replace with boiler?

(6 Posts)
Max007 Tue 13-Jan-15 11:36:56

We have agreed to buy a lovely (but in need of TLC) 3 bed Victorian house. However the owner was honest about struggling with a Mains Gas Rayburn system that she has to heat the house and cook with. The Rayburn is about 15 years old and its main oven isnt very big. The lady struggles with grilling. Two radiators are on all the time and even though she has had an engineer out they cant find a way to turn them off and so the house is roasting (and the bills are a nightmare she said). She uses a kettle for hot water to transfer to the pans for boiling. Please could anyone advise me if it is a difficult and expensive job to remove a gas Rayburn and replace it with a standard gas cooker range and supply/fit a modern boiler (either combi or one that uses the existing water tank). It has a metal flu pipe and is set into a brick surround- is the flu removed and replaced with a standard range extractor hood? It would be even better to be able to move the boiler 20 feet away into a utility room in case we ever take down a wall to open up the kitchen with the dining room. I think we could use the existing radiators as they look ok and are in every room. We are worried that we wont be able to afford to buy the house if this is expensive as there are lots of other jobs that will need work too. Who would move the Rayburn? Is it worth anything? Really grateful for any advice please

summersoft Tue 13-Jan-15 19:29:51

How many radiators are there in the house and is there a hot water cylinder?

Max007 Tue 13-Jan-15 20:15:29

Hi, I think there are 10 in all but I cant be certain. There are small ones in the bathroom and loo and then large ones in 3 bedrooms, kitchen, dining room, living room, hall and landing. It is an end terrace house with high ceilings and wooden windows - oh with a curtain over the front door to reduce the draft too smile Thanks for any advice.

Max007 Tue 13-Jan-15 20:21:59

Sorry - we didnt see a cylinder despite viewing the house twice. I know they have a water tank in the loft and use an emmersion switch to heat the water for baths if the Rayburn is not at full heat. A combi boiler might be a nice idea to make the showers more powerful but the main worry is cost We have already offered over budget and so anything we buy will have to go on credit - which is worrying. But then the house could be lovely in the future. Do the installers take the Rayburn away? Do we try and sell it? I read something about them being too hard to lift but I am really in the dark about it all and would be grateful for any advice.

summersoft Tue 13-Jan-15 22:29:38

Rayburns are generally built insitu. You will be able to sell it on, depends who buys it as to whether they will remove it as well. Have a look on e bay, see what they are going for. Disconnect the boiler side of the Rayburn and install a new gas boiler. Use the Rayburn for cooking in the short term till you have sold it.

Max007 Wed 14-Jan-15 00:10:39

Thanks for taking the time to help- appreciate it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: