Talk

Advanced search

Living with a black sink

(15 Posts)
MaudieDonkers Tue 13-Jan-15 09:12:54

Hello, is there anyone here with experience of a black sink? We are renovating a cottage and the kitchen is tiny. I plan to put in an induction hob (seems to be a choice of black or black) and think that a black sink might look better as it will be in the same run of worktop. So far I have found granite and ceramic. Any insight gratefully received. Thank you.

Blueskies80 Tue 13-Jan-15 09:18:02

We have black ikea Quartz composite sink and black tap which is lovely IMO and looks striking, have a black radiator too. Rest of kitchen units white and oak worktop.it is harder to tell when it needs a clean though! (May be a plus point depending on how you look at things!)

Nolongerlurking Tue 13-Jan-15 09:24:29

Hi in our previous house we had a black granite schock sink....beautiful to look at and went well with my white cupboards and black worktop. The only thing difficult was keeping in streak free but Method granite cleaner worked well. Well worth the extra cleaning. Really didn't want to leave it behind when we moved!

AgathaF Tue 13-Jan-15 09:44:03

We have a black sink too. It looks lovely (sits in a run of black worktops and we have a black hob) but does get marked easily as we live in a hard water area. Not a problem to clean the marks off, just a bit time consuming. That said, I think stainless steel sinks are worse for that, and pale sinks get coffee/wine stains too.

gluenotsoup Tue 13-Jan-15 11:37:27

We have a black composite one, with black worktops and white units. It was in the house when we bought it, and I canot wait to rip it out. It never looks clean, shows marks and smears and bits stand out. I spend my life cleaning and buffing it, and I still hate it with a passion. Actually, I dislike the whole kitchen black and white colour scheme as I think in this house it looks dated, drab, dull and grubby. I want an undermounted stainless steel one, with the neff slide and hide oven, and a probably black induction hob, with soft, easy on the eye units and some subtle colour. Sorry.

bilbodog Tue 13-Jan-15 12:13:25

will probably show lime scale marks all the time - I would avoid.

CointreauVersial Tue 13-Jan-15 13:14:04

We had a black "granite" one put in - it was awful. It showed watermarks really badly (went sort of grey-ish), and because it was a rough surface all the grot just clung to it. It also got very discoloured with tea-stains, despite much scrubbing.

Then DM came round, and filled it with bleach. Great, tea stains gone....unfortunately, I then had a clean grey sink. The colour faded more and more from the base of the sink....eventually, I waved it goodbye when we moved house, and in our new house I made sure I had good old stainless steel. I can scrub to my heart's content, and it still looks good as new.

MaudieDonkers Tue 13-Jan-15 13:53:27

Thank you all so much for your comments, will have another think but also look at the ceramic which may be easier to clean (?). I have the whole house to plan (DH adverse to shopping) and this is only the first room. This forum is brilliant.

MaudieDonkers Tue 13-Jan-15 13:55:57

Anyone know if the Cotswolds are hard or soft water? We are currently in Cornwall - not the ideal distance for renovating our new home!

iggymama Tue 13-Jan-15 23:33:39

Blanco silgranite sinks are available in black and are very popular on a US kitchen forum I visit.

Siemens make induction hobs in a silver finish which may look good with a stainless steel sink.

MaudieDonkers Tue 13-Jan-15 23:56:06

Ooo thank you Iggy - off to google ...

HansieLove Wed 14-Jan-15 03:15:09

You can get a water softener installed if you have hard water. We moved to a house that had one, I love that we have it. My DH just flatly refused to install it. It was not him that had to clean showers.

I have charcoal corian in two bathrooms. If you brush your teeth over it and spit in sink, it's dirty.

AgathaF Wed 14-Jan-15 10:18:20

Inspired by this thread, I thought I'd try to find out the best way to clean a black sink. I came across this site that says clean with a mix of white vinegar and baking powder, then oil using veg oil (or any oil really) and the sink will stay black.

TranmereRover Wed 14-Jan-15 10:21:30

we have a matt black granite composite schock sink. One thing i'd recommend is never leaving a metal dish drainer sitting on the draining board side of it, as it leaves rust stains - though I am going to take some of the tips from here on cleaning...

Damnautocorrect Wed 14-Jan-15 10:27:43

I'm just outside the Cotswolds - but not in it so it could be different and it's really really really hard, not like your beautiful soft water in Cornwall. I have to unscale my kettle once a month it's that bad.
But a toothbrush and via-cal every 6 months sorts the ceramic sink nicely.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: