Talk

Advanced search

£450 for new circuit board and moving a light switch. A lot or not?

(17 Posts)
CrapBag Mon 12-Jan-15 11:56:26

We are having our kitchen done next month and when they came to do the survey we were told they couldn't touch the electrics until our circuit board was changed as it is very old. This was noted in the survey when we bought the house so was not a surprise to us.

We are having it fitted by the people we are getting it from and they have quoted £450 to put a new circuit board and to move the light switch in the kitchen as it is in a bizarre place.

Does this seem like a fair price or a bit expensive?

specialsubject Mon 12-Jan-15 12:08:04

circuit board? Do you mean fuse board? Do you mean they are changing it for breakers and RCDs?

that involves a full electrical check, possibly extra work and certification. £450 is a little high but not far out.

CrapBag Mon 12-Jan-15 12:11:36

Oh maybe I mean fuse board. Thing under the stairs where you flick switches to turn off certain things like lights. As you can tell I am utterly clueless. I bloody asked DH what it was called as well so I don't sound like an idiot.

GertrudePerkins Mon 12-Jan-15 12:13:18

i think we paid about 400, maybe slightly less, for testing of the wiring, new consumer unit, and fitting of an outdoor light

specialsubject Mon 12-Jan-15 12:17:18

reasonable quote. Check the electrician is certified by one of the appropriate bodies.

electrical.theiet.org/building-regulations/part-p/certification-schemes.cfm

BernardsBum Mon 12-Jan-15 12:20:27

Sounds reasonable. We had quotes between £400-750 for consumer unit replacement.

FoxyMcFox Mon 12-Jan-15 13:13:31

We were quoted £300 for new consumer unit plus fitting in Nov 2014. So add your other work in and your quote seems reasonable.

Twitterqueen Mon 12-Jan-15 13:18:27

Echoing what others have said. I just paid about £350 for a new main board, plus new RCD and electrical certificate. And he was being generous because it took him several hours to locate a faulty point somewhere but didn't charge me for that (he could see the panic on my face). So I suspect the price is right.

TengoSueno Mon 12-Jan-15 13:32:10

That sounds about right.

Unexpected Mon 12-Jan-15 13:34:29

Sounds fine to me, particularly if it includes the new board.

Paloma12 Mon 12-Jan-15 13:35:14

Sounds very cheap to me!

MaliceInWinterWonderland78 Mon 12-Jan-15 15:15:14

It's not out of bed to be honest. Althoug you should get a cert for that money. Actually you should ALWAYS get a cert.

roneik Mon 12-Jan-15 15:38:31

Plus labor costs

www.screwfix.com/p/mk-sentry-10-way-dual-rcd-board-with-2-rcds-10-mcbs/92791

MuscatBouschet Mon 12-Jan-15 15:48:12

We are getting about the same thing done. They will charge a days labour, even though it should take less. That is usually £150+. Then the cost of the board and switch and wires will be £100-150. So sounds a little on the high side but not vastly so.

CrapBag Mon 12-Jan-15 20:44:10

Thank you for your replies.

I had an electrician around this afternoon who was recommended by a dad at school (his brother). Light switch £40 and fuse box £300 so very happy with that given everyone thought £450 was a fair price. Relevant certificates will be given and he is going to do a full check on the house (slightly worried it may throw something else up at this point, everything else in this house has been less than straight forward).

Blackeyez09 Mon 12-Jan-15 20:56:23

I've just had that done
300 for board and earthing stopcock 200 I think it was a little expensive bit got a full check
I think if it's an old house it's likely to have problems as mine through up I may need rewiring in the near future.. Which my electrical survey did not seem to state... I also had problems like a borrowed neutral still trying to understand what that is!

Blackeyez09 Mon 12-Jan-15 20:56:52

Electrical survey prior to buying the place

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: