Talk

Advanced search

Quote for getting exterior of house painted. Is this a reasonable price?

(9 Posts)
CrapBag Mon 12-Jan-15 11:52:53

Had 1 quote so far for getting our house painted. It is front and back plus single storey side extension and we need some scaffolding to do the side over the extension.

Man said £800 to paint the house plus about £250 for the scaffolding although he is getting that price confirmed with the scaffolder he knows.

He asked what colour and when I gave a couple, he said he could tell us how much we need so we could buy the one we wanted to guessing paint isn't included.

Is this a lot for getting your house painted? The only reason we are reluctant to do it ourselves is because it is awkward to do the side and you just can't get to it by ladder. The front and back would be easy by ladder so £800 seemed like a lot but then I have no comparison as I don't know anyone who has had to paint their house.

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Mon 12-Jan-15 11:56:14

Sounds cheap to me. I've paid not far off £800 to have a single room painted (a big room but not as much sqm a exterior of a whole house).

Get a couple of comparative quotes if you are concerned.

SoupDragon Mon 12-Jan-15 11:58:30

Well, it depends where you are but that sounds cheap to me. However, I am in South London.

MaudantWit Mon 12-Jan-15 12:01:07

I agree that, compared to what I paid in S London to have just the front of the house painted, that sounds very reasonable.

CrapBag Mon 12-Jan-15 12:03:43

Does it? That's encouraging then as I used rated people and he has good reviews.

I am nowhere near London so prices probably don't compare. smile

ZombieApocalypse Mon 12-Jan-15 12:05:01

We paid £400 just to have the front painted (sides and back are not brick) and the porch and we're in the SE so £800 sounds reasonable.

MrsKipling16 Mon 12-Jan-15 12:05:51

I'm in the SE and paid £850 for the side & half of the back (other half is brick so didn't need it) to be painted 18 months ago. That included prep, undercoat, paint, etc but no scaffolding was needed.

Took 1 man 4 days & he did a really good job - still looks new now.

TeddyBee Mon 12-Jan-15 13:13:26

Sounds cheap to me - we were getting quotes of a couple of grand. Biggish house though. We'll be up a ladder come summer as have no bleeding money any more thanks to the extension of dhoom.

Allthelittlefoxes Mon 12-Jan-15 13:36:27

Seems very cheap to me - bite his hand off! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now