Talk

Advanced search

Electirc Shower

(6 Posts)
Amee Sat 10-Jan-15 21:00:07

Looking for a new electric shower to replace the old one. Around £150-£200 budget. Any recommendations? Any brands in particular?

Older Sat 10-Jan-15 21:02:03

Well I have a mira sport 10.8kw 2nd hand from eBay for £25. Nearly new. I'm very happy!

CatsClaus Sat 10-Jan-15 21:04:05

tesco online had a great selection a while back...we even doubled up some vouchers and only ended up paying pennies.

Amee Sun 11-Jan-15 13:02:35

Thanks Older and CatsClaus. Two places I wouldn't have thought of looking!

PigletJohn Sun 11-Jan-15 16:36:31

If you get a similar one of the same brand, there is a reasonable chance that it will fit the position of the existing pipe, cable and fixing holes. Otherwise, not.

first question is, what is the power capacity available? In your consumer unit ("fusebox") will be an MCB marked with the number of amps it can carry. It might be labelled "B32" or "B40" or similar. If not, what colour is it? Does it appear to be the same brand and age as the rest of the CU and breakers?

You can't just fit a bigger one, because it will have been matched to the maximum capacity of the cable that was installed. Unless some dangerous bodger has got there first, hence my question about age. Electric showers are one of the few domestic electrical items that run at maximum load for extended periods, so the risk of overload and overheating has to be removed.

A photo would be nice.

Amee Mon 12-Jan-15 11:44:42

Piglet that's very helpful. Thank you. I think replacing like for like makes more sense after reading your advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now