Talk

Advanced search

Deadline for responding to offer

(8 Posts)
Lucy61 Sat 10-Jan-15 15:25:48

Just made an offer on a house we viewed this morning. We viewed at 10.30 and offered at 12.00. We said our offer is on the table till the end of the day or it's withdrawn! Just tired of agents using our offers to bid up other buyers etc. As it's Sat and they had other viewers just don't want to give them time to receive other offers... Am I being unreasonable?

When we accepted an offer on ours we didn't leave our buyers to 'stew' ...

Trufflethewuffle Sat 10-Jan-15 16:31:49

I can see your viewpoint but I think if I was the vendor and received an offer on those terms I would feel that you were not perhaps really interested if you were prepared to let it go so quickly after offering. So I would worry about accepting your offer and you then pulling out further down the line.

It is a big transaction for both parties and needs careful consideration rather than snap decisions.

Just my view though, others may well feel differently. Hope it works out.

Mostlyjustaluker Sat 10-Jan-15 16:35:36

Unless it was the price I wanted and I was desperate to sell I would be tempted to say no just because of the time pressure. What is one them is away for bust this afternoon and they are unable to discuss it?

NoLongerJustAShopGirl Sat 10-Jan-15 16:40:02

OP - sounds like a "foot stamp" to me and I always ignore toddlers with that behaviour

I would think you were not that serious, and may withdraw or try to negotiate later after the opposition has been put off by a "sold" sign.

mandy214 Sat 10-Jan-15 17:50:09

I agree, I'd think that you would be nightmare purchasers, I'd be expecting you to make threats throughout the transaction to get things done within your timescales and knowing that things aren't straightforward, I'd probably expect you to pull out at some point leaving me high and dry. Why would you expect a response that quickly? It doesn't give the vendors much chance to discuss it at all. So unless your offer was so good it demanded an immediate response, I'd reject it.

Lucy61 Sat 10-Jan-15 18:07:26

Oh no! I was hoping that it would put pressure on the agent (not south buyers) to act fast and put our offer forward ASAP rather than just sit on it and see what else comes up. I'm sure agents fudge the truth to vendors and just say something like 'buyers want to hear back soon.'.

As it happens, it worked. Agent was swift and we've had several conversations this afternoon and it looks like we've got the house!

Mostlyjustaluker Sat 10-Jan-15 20:13:53

Agents are legally obliged to pass on all offers.

Congratulations on your new home.

Lucy61 Sat 10-Jan-15 20:45:52

Yes but they have up to 24hrs to do so which can make a huge difference as it allows others to make offers. Who knows, someone could always offer more even if an offer is accepted and we'd get guzumped You just don't know until you've got the keys in your hands. confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now