Talk

Advanced search

Extension and covenants

(4 Posts)
smoothiemaker Sat 10-Jan-15 08:27:56

My house was built around 1972 and I bought it a year or so ago with planning permission for a garage and side/rear extension to the kitchen. When I bought it it seemed that the previous occupier had paved over the front garden (to be used for parking) and added a porch both of which were not allowed for under the covenants. She had to take out indemnity insurance before I bought the property. I now wish to go ahead with the extension which includes building in line with the porch. The company that originally built the property still exists so should I inform/ask them. If so, can I do this without going legal and do I just write a letter? Or is this going to open a whole can of worms? A lot of my neighbours have already done a similar thing but I've not asked them about it. I should imagine these things only come to light when you are selling. Advice please.

changed42day Sat 10-Jan-15 15:04:41

Is it leasehold property?

smoothiemaker Sun 11-Jan-15 07:27:35

No it's freehold.

wowfudge Sun 11-Jan-15 08:01:00

I imagine your first step would be to speak with some of neighbours who have done this already - you may find they have contacted the builders and the covenants have been removed, in which case, problem solved.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now