Talk

Advanced search

Looking at houses tomorrow.

(8 Posts)
CarcerDun Fri 09-Jan-15 18:11:24

What questions do I need to ask Estate Agents whilst viewing? Haven't done this for years...

overmydeadbody Fri 09-Jan-15 18:18:00

renting or buying?

Looking round the house is the main thing, questions can be asked later.

CarcerDun Fri 09-Jan-15 18:30:08

Buying.

hifi Fri 09-Jan-15 18:42:41

What's the vendors position?
Divorce?
Have they found a property?
Probate?
We viewed a house and the estate agent mentioned the vendor had put the house on the market every year for 3 years. We knew it was a none starter.i found the EA gave minimum information about school catchment areas. Do your home work.
Ask what fixtures and fittings are being included in the sale if something takes your eye.

hifi Fri 09-Jan-15 18:46:34

I arrived early at a property waiting for DH. In that time I saw the neighbours, absolute nightmares. Screaming, fighting at the front door. They also had old mattresses and other rubbish in their garden.
Look at on street parking, also the general maintenance of other properties nearby.
Look at the local crime stats, there's usually a cluster around specific addresses for anti social behaviour.

hifi Fri 09-Jan-15 18:49:45

we looked for 8 months to buy a house. I wouldn't trust most EA as far as I could throw them. Don't get drawn into the open house situations and them saying "this is going to sell today".

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Fri 09-Jan-15 19:09:39

Ask how long the property has been on the market. A house listed for one week does not have as much negotiation room as a property listed for over 3 months.

Ask the reason for the sale. Is there a new job or a divorce? Are their children flying the nest or are they downsizing for retirement? Knowing the vendors' motivation and any timeline for selling can help you negotiate the best price and terms that suit both parties.

specialsubject Fri 09-Jan-15 19:51:37

the EA works for the vendor.

things to check:
- how much sun it gets
- will it flood
- boiler age and function (open airing cupboard if there is one)
- evidence of dodgy DIY/bodges
- smoked in? Pets? Does this bother you?
- neighbours
- layout suits you?

if you are interested after first look, drive by again at different times. Check local planning rumours - they won't show up on searches.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now