Talk

Advanced search

Arghrrr - help me with colour before I lose the will to live!

(17 Posts)
HeyMacWey Fri 09-Jan-15 15:20:37

Currently redecorating east facing room - lovely light streaming through the window till about 11.30ish then quite cold. More so in the winter.

Have one wall of cladding to paint (was here when we moved and don't want to rip it off for fear of what may lie behind it grin)

Walls are timeless. Have muted colours on furnishings and gilt over mantle mirror. Edwardian house.

Just painted the wood in pigeon and I think it's too dark <sob>.

What greige will look good?

I also have some horrible green tiles in the fireplace which I want to try and balance the colour with as can't change then so want to minimise them.

Dh wants colour as complains that everything is too white whereas I think it's good to have a blank canvas and add colour with accessories etc.

Now looking at either blue gray or la room gray.

Help.....

HeyMacWey Fri 09-Jan-15 15:21:35

Wooden cladding - think tongue and groove.

isles7 Fri 09-Jan-15 15:26:16

I've just painted my east facing lounge dulux timeless with a F&B 'Barrista' feature wall. It works well with my beige, plum, grey and olive green furnishings (I think!)

HeyMacWey Fri 09-Jan-15 16:52:15

I can't find barista anywhere - can you do a link?

Eastwickwitch Fri 09-Jan-15 17:38:06

Have a look at F&B Shaded White, I've got it in a hall that's dark half the day & it's lovely..sort of beige/green/grey.

HeyMacWey Fri 09-Jan-15 19:51:08

Thanks - think shaded white is too 'white' for dh. He hates my 50 shades of white approach to decorating grin

HeyMacWey Fri 09-Jan-15 19:54:08

Whoops - sorry looked at the wrong one - that could be a go - er.

I can foresee too many tester pots and then just going for timeless in eggshell.

As an aside - I'm not impressed with the coverage of the estate eggshell. It's going to need at least 3 coats.

Quodlibet Fri 09-Jan-15 19:59:11

Little Green 'Echo'

Lovely cool shade which changes with the light. Would work with green tiles too. Very easy to work against with other colours too.

Serafinaaa Fri 09-Jan-15 20:02:19

Dulux Egyptian Cotton is a beigeish colour with green undertones. We have it on the walls and have green sofas.

whitechocolatestars Fri 09-Jan-15 20:05:43

Dulux Chalky Downs is a good earthy warm neutral beige that harmonises well with green (see website). I use #5 quite a bit but you can go a shade darker or lighter depending on your preference.

Kahlua4me Fri 09-Jan-15 20:07:12

I would agree with your dh and suggest you have colour on the walls. Or at least on 1 wall anyway.

I would think a warm colour would look fab, you could have a muted grey on 3 walls if you fancy but you do need to bring some warmth into the room. I don't think that would be possible just in accessories.

HeyMacWey Fri 09-Jan-15 20:52:47

I want to keep the timeless on the the other walls - just can't find anything to go on the wooden wall.

Echo could be a good one. Bit fresher than pigeon.

this is the colour scheme of the room. We have a fair bit of wooden furniture and stripped floor as well as different textures and art work so I'd argue the case for them bringing lots of colour in wink

MrsFlorrick Fri 09-Jan-15 22:01:20

F&B skimming stone, elephants breath, Purbeck stone?

Little Greene Dash of Soot, Rubine Ashes.

Quodlibet Sat 10-Jan-15 22:56:40

Yep we have lots of warm wood in our echo room and it works well.

HeyMacWey Sun 11-Jan-15 09:35:11

Hmm - the pigeon is growing on me. It looks less dark now there are more coats on it. It's bright and sunny here today so that's probably helping.
Think I'm going to live with it - - for my dh's sake-- and then get a tester of echo and see what it's like. He did like the look of echo too so I'm not completely railroading him.

mineallmine Sun 11-Jan-15 17:52:40

I have an east facing kitchen/dining/living room and have F&B Light Blue on the walls- it's a bluish grey or a greyish blue depending on the light and time of day. I absolutely love it and loads of people have asked for the name of the colour. My kitchen units are Slipper Satin and have a dresser painted in Shaded White (will redo kitchen units in Shaded White as I prefer it.) Floor is oak and cream tiles in the kitchen part.

This is a great blog which goes into depth about a lot of F&B colours.

NeitherHereOrThere Mon 12-Jan-15 09:57:37

Another vote for Eygptian Cotton. Great neutral that has a hint of warm grey in it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now