Talk

Advanced search

I want to cry - most protracted house sale ever about to fall through...

(11 Posts)
thanksamillion Fri 09-Jan-15 13:56:51

We put an offer in on a house and accepted an offer on ours in June. The people we were buying from were divorcing and took until the end of November to get to the point that they were ready to proceed, at which point our buyer said that her mortgage offer had fallen through and she needed to get a new one. We're still waiting for her mortgage company to do the survey (second one - she had one for the first mortgage which was fine but now is with a different company so needs a new one).

I went in to speak to the agent today and they said we need to start thinking about re-marketing, but that if we do that the vendor of the house we're buying will also put hers back on the market.

I am so gutted and just don't know what to do. Any helpful suggestions or commiserations gratefully received smile

LizzieMint Fri 09-Jan-15 14:11:17

Oh, chains are so hideous, I really feel for you. FWIW, my friend has just moved this week after putting their house on the market and accepting an offer last january - so there's still hope!

So, why did the agent say you should remarket? Do they think your buyer is messing about? Do they think she won't get a mortage? Are you happy to wait longer for her to get sorted or do you feel it's precarious? Can you give her a deadline (say, 2 weeks?) to get the survey sorted and put back on the market if it doesn't happen before then?
How much do you love the house you are buying? Is it likely to be the only one you can get, if the worst happens and the chain does break?

Apatite1 Fri 09-Jan-15 14:15:00

No help but many commiserations! You're not the only one in this situation. If it's any consolation, I found japanese knotweed on our property and it will cost £6k to clear. I need another quote!

Lots of mortgage offers have fallen through due to MMR. brew have a virtual cuppa m'dear.

Waitingonasunnyday Fri 09-Jan-15 14:15:41

Oh you poor thing. Your buyer sounds very patient tbh and your vendor sounds like a PITA.

PennyJennyPie Fri 09-Jan-15 14:18:00

I feel for you. We had our offer accepted in April, and finally moved in mid November... and we are now so so happy in our house. But the waiting and insecurity and oh the pain of it.

woollyjumpers Fri 09-Jan-15 14:21:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thanksamillion Fri 09-Jan-15 14:25:33

Thanks for your kind words.

We've set a deadline of the end of next week for the survey to be done. It sounds like our buyers is struggling to get a mortgage hence the remarketing suggestion.

The vendors have started talking about remarketing too (even though they have only just sorted out their end) because they've moved out and into rented (against all advice).

Argghh...

thanksamillion Fri 09-Jan-15 14:26:40

Good point about us being good from the sellers point of view. Our mortgage is lined up etc etc and apart from the sale of our house we're completely ready to go.

neepsandtatties Fri 09-Jan-15 14:36:06

Might it be worth you getting in contact with your sellers (get the estate agent to forward them an email from you), explaining what is going on, how frustrated you are with your buyer, what deadline you have given, and how you appreciate how disappointing this is for them but you are still entirely committed to their house but will understand if they feel they need to re-market. Maybe the human touch might keep them on side at least.

woollyjumpers Fri 09-Jan-15 14:41:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thanksamillion Fri 09-Jan-15 15:02:28

Don't really know about the mortgage. I think she's trying to do something complicated with a current btl that she owns. I'm worried that it just isn't going to happen.

The house that we're buying is in a desirable location so she would probably be able to get the same price although it needs some cosmetic work so had been on for a little while when we offered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now