Talk

Advanced search

Would you have a window in your shower?

(14 Posts)
chicaguapa Thu 08-Jan-15 22:30:12

We want to use part of the master bedroom to install an ensuite shower room. It'll only be 1.8m x 0.9m so tiny really. It'll look best if we can cut the corner off one end but that means we'd have to have the shower the other end, next to the outside wall. Because it's so small I'd like to put a window in that end too for natural light and to make it seem a bit bigger. My mum says that will be a no-no but I think a lot of European bathrooms have a small window in the shower. I'm thinking of a wetroom type affair too with a seamless shower tray and half glass shower screen so it wont be like there's a shower cubicle with a window in it, but more open.

What do you think?

PigletJohn Thu 08-Jan-15 23:25:57

no.

it will also get covered in condensation and spray, which will probably soak into the wall causing damp and mould, because windows are not expected to be waterproof on the inside, and are expected to get wind and sun to dry off the rain on the outside.

vinegarandbrownpaper Thu 08-Jan-15 23:27:44

Yes! Its cool to open a wee window and see outside when showering!

NewToRoo Thu 08-Jan-15 23:28:17

I wouldn't have a shower room without a window in the room. I'm not convinced that I'd want it in the actual shower though.

vinegarandbrownpaper Thu 08-Jan-15 23:32:54

Window..window..window. .grin

Thehedgehogsong Thu 08-Jan-15 23:35:38

I have a window in my shower and we had a waterproof blind over it to protect it. House came with it and I'm not bothered by it. When it's time to update the bathroom I will probably look into making it a longer, high up window, if possible. But it's not an eyesore or anything!

steppeinginto2015 Thu 08-Jan-15 23:37:11

We have a shower over the bath in the main bathroom. There is a window on the same wall, the bath is about 1m into the corner, and then the window.

We have problems with the window sill, and dh has had to re-seal the edges round the edge of tiles etc. So if you do do it, think carefully about what you use and how it is all sealed.

TeddyBee Fri 09-Jan-15 00:09:59

Window. Opening preferably. I hate windowless rooms so bad.

VenusRising Fri 09-Jan-15 00:19:54

Large window, that opens so that street can't see. Nothing like showering in the sunshine.
Dark, steamy mouldy little windowless box ensuites are grim.

Open plan with glass wall sounds great too, as it will allow the light in and it will be more airy.

bendyruler Fri 09-Jan-15 02:07:37

I've got a window in my shower it's great I can wave at the neighbours grin

ChippingInLovesChristmasLights Fri 09-Jan-15 02:16:31

Yes. We had one for years that opened into the garden and I really miss it now. We had a lovely wood frame, no bother at all.

chicaguapa Fri 09-Jan-15 07:20:01

Thank you. Need to try and find some pictures on Pinterest now. Will probably use a bathroom designer (a proper one not someone from B&Q) so will be able to make sure we have the right set up. We want to make the most of such a small space and do it well.

Tzibeleh Fri 09-Jan-15 09:49:04

My cousin has a window in her shower, and it works very well. The sill is about shoulder height so there's no privacy issue, yet you can see out while showering. As a PP said, it's really lovely showering with the window open on a warm sunny day. It is a south-facing wall, though. Not sure it would be as pleasant if the wall was not sunny. And, of course, it's ventilation.

Best to have the sill as one piece of stone, rather than tiled, as that makes it much easier to clean what will inevitably become your bottles shelf.

didireallysaythat Fri 09-Jan-15 10:09:43

We have a window in our shower at about shoulder height but it is about 80cm from the shower head. It's great. The tiled, sloping windowsill allows us to have all our shampoos not on the floor and we can open the window to help ventilate (although I wouldn't dare to suggest you should ignore PJ's advice re extractor fans). Plus showering with some natural light is great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now