Talk

Advanced search

Can you fit a John lewis kitchen door on a howdens cupboard

(5 Posts)
Mercedes Thu 08-Jan-15 19:41:23

Hi

There's lots of advice about using non-expensive cupboards from places like howdens and spending your money on better quality doors etc.

Can you just orders the doors from john lewis (I saw a kitchen I liker there) or would they insist we buy the whole thing? How do you know they will fit and will they look different when you open the door or does this not matter.
Do they have to adapt the hinges?

Sorry kitchen novice here

Mercedes Fri 09-Jan-15 20:46:30

If not a john lewis door some other expensive looking door?

annalouiseh Fri 09-Jan-15 21:09:57

John lewis will only sell the whole kitchen.
Their suppliers, the two they buy from generally only sell the whole as a package also

Shakey1500 Fri 09-Jan-15 21:13:49

Not sure but certainly you'd have to check that hinges/holes line up somewhat. Or drill new holes, but that would look crap when door is open. Unless that's ok with you smile

RaisingSteam Fri 09-Jan-15 23:02:58

I think cheap cupboards are a false economy tbh, sagging shelves, backs fallen out, sticky drawers. OTOH handles, sink and tap and worktops are very easy to upgrade.

If you start along the mix and match route you are basically doing your own design rather than getting a package from somewhere, which means getting into quite a lot of details and measurements. Most people are more confident having a kitchen company sort all that out, even if you give them the basic layout you want.

Having said that, a lot of kitchen companies use the same products from a few suppliers and call them different names - after looking at a few brochures you start to see the same thing again and again.

Which kitchen did you like from JL/ what "expensive" look are you after? Was it the styling and layout that you could copy with a cheaper range?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now