Talk

Advanced search

Dishwasher installation - advice please

(11 Posts)
ShesARumUn Thu 08-Jan-15 13:26:31

Our dishwasher is broken; dishwasher repair man advises it would cost a fair bit to repair and given its age and the fact we run it twice a day (it's a slimline one and we are a family of four) we would be better off getting a new full size one. He would charge £70 to install the new one. Current one is integral and we are going to get a new freestanding one.

We are intending to buy one from John Lewis; their website says they will charge £20 to install. Is there any reason to pay the dishwasher man £70 do you think? Has anyone had one installed by John Lewis delivery people?

Thank you in advance.

misscph1973 Thu 08-Jan-15 13:32:44

£70 is a lot of money to install a dishwasher! It's not such a complicated process.

I am sure that JL will do a great job.

wowfudge Thu 08-Jan-15 13:33:18

Not unless you want to be taken for mugs! Was your guy going to remove the housing of the current one and do anything else for that price? All you need to do with the new one is attach the fill house to the cold tap off the water pipe and turn the blue plastic key, ensure the outlet hose drains into whatever the current outlet hose drains into, plug it in and make sure it's level. It isn't a big job at all, but can be awkward due to space, etc. if you are confident about doing it �20 is okayish - �70 is not unless he is doing other work.

NoMoreDelays Thu 08-Jan-15 13:42:07

I installed my own dishwasher.

wowfudge Thu 08-Jan-15 13:57:37

Me too

ShesARumUn Thu 08-Jan-15 14:09:25

Thanks all! I thought it sounded a lot; I know nothing about dishwashers so thought it could be quite a complicated process.

On another note, we are thinking of getting a Miele - they do seem quite expensive though. Are they worth it? Or there is Siemens maybe? Any recommendations very welcome.

PigletJohn Thu 08-Jan-15 14:55:28

I expect he is calculating it on his hourly rate as an appliance repairman.

If the old one is broken, busy yourself by disconnecting and removing it, and moving cabinets so you have a gap at 650mm wide for the new one.

Observe if there is a flat floor so the new one will slide in and out. If the flooring was laid after the appliances went in sad there will be a step and it is very difficult to lift an appliance over it, when it is under a worktop.

by the time you have done that you will (1) have made it easier for the new one to go in and (2) seen if you can do it yourself.

The new water supply hose will most likely be wider and have a big box on the end which is a leak detector and shut-off valve. The grey waste hose must loop up to touch the underside of the worktop, to prevent water running down it into the machine.

If you need to drill holes in a kitchen carcase for the plug or hoses, get a hole-cutter which will fit in your electric drill.

lotsofcheese Thu 08-Jan-15 16:48:37

I always use appliances online for replacement dishwashers, washing machines etc.

Delivery is free, the total charge for removing the old one & recycling, plus installing the new one was £35 (all services optional). Plus their prices are cheapest & the service good eg 4 hour delivery slots.

TeddyBee Fri 09-Jan-15 00:15:42

They delivered my new washing machine yesterday, and picked it up and carried it into the utility room from the front door. I was pleased, having expected to have to lug the bugger myself.

ShesARumUn Sun 11-Jan-15 09:50:52

Thanks again all. Have bought a dishwasher from JL and getting it installed this week. So fed up of washing up!

Fingeronthebutton Sun 11-Jan-15 13:19:54

Miele every time. You only buy 1 Miele, they last a lifetime.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now