Talk

Advanced search

Put a new kitchen in or fix the existing one?

(7 Posts)
DataColour Thu 08-Jan-15 11:50:21

Our house is about 17yrs old (so a relatively newly build) and we've owned it for 10yrs.
I want to move house as it's a small house and we have 2 DCs so I want to look for a bigger house.
The kitchen has a few faults. The counter is coming away from the wall from one side and it's quite obvious (we had a very heavy microwave on the end of the counter and it very slowly dragged the counter down away from the wall). The botton cupboard on that side is broken too because of it.
The cupboard under the sink - the door won't close properly.
There are a couple of noticable chips in the floor tilling.
One of the gas rings in the hob is not working and the grill function in the oven does not work.
Few minor discoulourations on the kitchen counter (but not that noticable due to the finish).
It's a small kitchen and the cupboard space could be better used, not great design of the original kitchen.

It's definitely not our forever house and I want to move in the next year or so. The target market this area and type of property is mainly rental and student accomodation as there is a nearby university very close by. So house will most probably be bought by a landlord to rent out.

Considering all this, is it worth putting a new kitchen in or fix and make do till we move?
Thanks!

wowfudge Thu 08-Jan-15 13:45:42

Definitely fix the problems with the hob and oven - or replace if they can't be fixed economically. That would drive me mad. Also if you have gas, you are likely to need to provide evidence that it has been serviced in the last 12 months when you come to sell, so worth doing.

Get a joiner in to sort out the counter issue and broken cupboard, door not closing, etc.

Are there any other small jobs which need attending to about the place? If so, get them done now then you are ready to go when you want to sell. I wouldn't spend lots of money changing things - you just want obvious issues fixed so no one viewing thinks there is more stuff wrong with the place.

One of the major things which makes a difference when you are selling is making sure the place is really clean and pretty tidy. Get the carpets cleaned before you have the estate agents round - you can hire a carpet cleaner. It's amazing how much better things look with a bit of care and attention.

BoffinMum Thu 08-Jan-15 13:47:30

I am not a great believer in new kitchens. We have one a similar age and I had the doors professionally painted in a Farrow and Ball colour, and installed new Magnet worktops, sink, taps and an extra cupboard. My mum gave us an almost new oven and hob she was getting rid of, and I bought a new extractor fan at B and Q in a sale, and a new fridge from John Lewis. I painted Tile Brite on the tile grout to make it white againm and used some transfers to hide the naff flower motifs. Finally I sorted out my bits and pieces and culled some of the things I never used, as well as buying a few accessories and a blind to match the new theme. It looks like a completely new kitchen and I reckon we spent £2k and saved £13k to 18k (it's a large room). Yes, the layout could be better but really I would rather have the money in my bank account than rebuild.

wowfudge Thu 08-Jan-15 13:56:47

We recently sold a house which had been let out for over four years - the bathroom was tired, but everything in good nick and working; the kitchen needed redecorating and some new unit doors (foil coverings had come loose), pelmets and cornicing to get it up to scratch. The estate agents who came round and did valuations for sale told me not to bother doing that work - anyone coming in would want to put their own stamp on it anyway.

They were right - I just made sure it was spotlessly clean and we got just shy of the asking price of the house next door but one which has a brand new kitchen and bathroom and is still on the market. Ours was on for offers over to differentiate.

It does depend on the area and property values, but from the OP's description, it sounds similar to our situation.

Any money you don't spend on a house you are selling is money to spend on the house you are buying.

BoffinMum Thu 08-Jan-15 13:59:02

I would just take your list of repairs to B and Q and have a conversation with one of the more knowledgeable people over there. They should be able to sort you out so your kitchen has a refresh without much expense.

roneik Thu 08-Jan-15 16:13:09

You can't prop a micro wave on a worktop without either a stainless steel leg supporting , or a unit below.Most tops are chipboard and will bow under the strain of the weight. You can get doors in B&Q for about 25 quid each 500m. There is no real skill involved putting new doors on. You could get a worktop cut for you in some B&Q free. They only hold to the wall with brackets and to the units same.
There is one screw for each hinge that controls adjustment for gap ,or vertical angle. One screw for clamping to other half of the units hinge'

IssyStark Thu 08-Jan-15 19:50:32

I wouldn't bother putting a new one in, just repair what you have. Most people would prefer to do their own kitchen eventually rather than have someone else's taste. Plus you would be unlikely to recoup the money on a new kitchen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now