Talk

Advanced search

Treating woodworm

(5 Posts)
SheriffCallie Wed 07-Jan-15 21:30:00

The house we recently moved into has woodworm in one of the roof joists (well, one visible for now, possibly more dormant).
Have had it inspected and have a quote for treatment. Husband reckons he could treat it himself as all the roof joists are accessible and we need to pull the loft floor up to reinforce, thus exposing the floor ones.
Is this a terrible idea? Is it the kind of job that NEEDS a pro, or could we save our money for other things that we couldn't begin to attempt? I initially thought 'no way' but now I'm not sure, husband isn't the type to patronise tradesmen by insisting he can do everything they can despite no training so that's why I'm taking notice of this.
Anyone else DIY'd their woodworm treatment? Advice?

PigletJohn Wed 07-Jan-15 21:37:04

The chemicals are toxic, of course.

When you sell, if the buyers get wind of woodworm, they will want to see a certificate and guarantee.

SheriffCallie Wed 07-Jan-15 21:44:21

Thanks for your reply PigletJohn. The company who came to inspect offered a 20yr guarantee but this is our forever home and so we wouldn't be expecting to sell within that time. If the future buyer's mortgage depended on that, we would have to get it treated again then anyway.
We had assumed that disposable coveralls, gloves and masks, then us moving out for a couple of night would be sufficient re toxicity. Are we being naïve?

PigletJohn Wed 07-Jan-15 22:00:12

I don't know. They might use breathing helmets with piped air these days. It can probably soak in through skin and eyes too. If the whole loft wants spraying it will be full of toxic fumes while you work, so I think I would get pros in. If done in summer, there will be strong convection currents to dry it out and carry away the fumes once it is finished, but I would not want want to be up there during it, or for a week or two after.

SheriffCallie Wed 07-Jan-15 22:05:17

Ah, that's knocked that on the head then. He annoys me at times but not so much that I want him poisoned ��.
Thanks for your help PJ.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now