Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

ceiling of extension - pitched or flat?

(7 Posts)
Willow33 Tue 06-Jan-15 23:07:38

We are having a single storey 4m extension. It is for a kitchen and dining room. The length is 6m.The pitched roof is already on but we need to decide if we should keep the internal ceiling flat which would extend from the current line of the house. Or should we go for a pitched internal ceiling, keeping in line with the new extension roof.There are two velux windows. I like the idea of the pitched ceiling as it gives a feeling of more space but I am not sure if it would take a lot longer to heat up.Any advice pls?

ThunderboltKid Wed 07-Jan-15 10:40:40

We're having a pitched extension roof & ceiling. Surely if you made the ceiling flat you'd be covering up the veluxes?

yomellamoHelly Wed 07-Jan-15 10:44:45

We have pitched for same size extension. Makes it seem massive. (Had flat before - replaced the roof - so much better than previous.) May be the "trendy" thing to do though so possibly date?

PigletJohn Wed 07-Jan-15 10:46:30

yes, with a vaulted ceiling, the warm air will rise to the top.

If you have a large, low-temperature heating system, such as wet UFH, it will not be so bad. The smaller and hotter the heaters are (e.g. fan heaters or narrow tall radiators) the worse it will be.

Willow33 Wed 07-Jan-15 20:13:21

We can't do under floor heating.we were thinking of tall heaters to save on space. Do you think that they would be v inefficient? What about a short, long, regular central heating radiator?

echt Wed 07-Jan-15 20:46:46

My house has two rooms with high, pitched ceilings with - late 70s, early 80s design, and yes, the heat certainly does rise and the room is harder to heat. The heating is ducted via vents in the floor, common in Au.

We also fitted two ceiling fans with summer and winter settings, and re-set them in winter to push the warm air down and this helps a lot.

This is not a faff for us because, living in Australia, we need the fans in summer, too.

PigletJohn Wed 07-Jan-15 21:25:38

Long radiators that are not very tall would spread the heat better.

I have heard of ceiling fans being used to mix down the warm air, but have not seen it done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now