Talk

Advanced search

Electric meter flashing - what does this mean?

(6 Posts)
beaglesaresweet Tue 06-Jan-15 23:06:34

It flashes red on the front of the panel (it's a modern meter) under the screen with digits, I thought they were not battery operated, but could it mean a battery needs changing? or maybe it flashes when detects movement (but I don't remember it happening before).
TIA

PigletJohn Tue 06-Jan-15 23:32:50

All the modern small meters flash. Usually 1,000 or thereabouts flashes per kWh IIRC (it will be on a label)

So the more electricity you use, the faster it will flash.

possibly like this

Gunpowder Tue 06-Jan-15 23:37:08

YY mine always goes mad if I run the tumble drier or boil the kettle.

Actually I quite like it, it makes me go round turning off lights. <turns into dad>

PigletJohn Tue 06-Jan-15 23:42:51

by my reckoning, a 3kW kettle would make it flash 50 times a minute, a tumble drier maybe 35; both together about 85 flashes per min (plus whatever else is running). Add on a fan heater, and total about 135 flashes per min.

An energy saving lamp would cause about 20 flashes per hour, so insignificant.

Gunpowder Tue 06-Jan-15 23:47:18

Sometimes I run the drier, the washing machine and the kettle all at the same time and it's like a disco.

(Wild) wink

beaglesaresweet Wed 07-Jan-15 01:11:16

Gunpowder - you are hilarious! turning into dad..disco, haha.
Phew, that's a relief then - though a bit surprising as I was checking it in the daytime when hardly any lights were on, but maybe a dushwasher (can't remember) - I'm just used to the fact that green means all is right and red is some sort of warning. It's in the cellar so I don't observe its habits. So thanks, PJ, and Gun, for the advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now