Advanced search

Looking to buy this house. What do I do with the kitchen/ diner and how much will it cost me?

(10 Posts)
Serendials Tue 06-Jan-15 15:00:45

So I think i'm going to go ahead with the purchase of this house. Most of the house is okay...just cosmetic stuff but the kitchen/ dining room/ conservatory/ utility needs completely rethinking. Any ideas? How much will it cost do you reckon?

RunDougalRunQuiteFast Tue 06-Jan-15 15:03:18


Serendials Tue 06-Jan-15 15:03:35


wowfudge Tue 06-Jan-15 15:16:18

Okay - my thoughts are:

Put WC in hall cupboard area if big enough. Move utility area to rear of garage. Then you can open up the area at the back of the house, extend up to the garage and have a large, open plan kitchen/diner/family room.

Or, reinstate wall between kitchen and dining room, put door in from hall into kitchen. Extend conservatory across back to garage (or even all the way across the back of the garage and remove wall between kitchen and conservatory/extension to create a larger, L-shaped kitchen with utility off, move WC as before and convert space to pantry, put doors in where window at rear of dining room is for ease of access and to improve light in that room.

Serendials Tue 06-Jan-15 22:23:58

Thanks wowfudge. I hadn't thought about the wc going under the stairs.

Here's some pics if anyone has anymore ideas.

Obviously in need of modernisation :-)

wowfudge Tue 06-Jan-15 22:38:04

Looks as though it's in good nick though! Having seen the photos, I would definitely look at replacing the conservatory with a proper brick built extension, like the utility/WC part with pitched slate roof, with large doors directly out onto the garden. Do you know a builder you could ask for ballpark figures for the work? Also, it looks very much as though the garage and rooms above are an extension so that'll affect what you would need to get planning permission for.

Serendials Tue 06-Jan-15 22:43:45

Sorry wowfudge, I didn't grasp what you meant in the last sentence?

wowfudge Tue 06-Jan-15 23:02:54

You can extend under permitted development rules without planning permission, but as it looks as though the house has already been extended, therefore you won't be able to do that and will need to apply for planning permission.

I am not an expert though - have a look on the local council's website planning pages for detailed info and links.

Serendials Tue 06-Jan-15 23:08:33

Oh I see- thanks.

Serendials Wed 07-Jan-15 14:02:20

Any more ideas on re configuring the dining room/ kitchen/ conservatory very welcome :-)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: