Talk

Advanced search

Where would you live in London with a budget of 1.5m

(25 Posts)
NovaNova Sun 04-Jan-15 16:16:24

Have name changed for this post.

I thought I'd add to the two earlier threads re. similar subject, and was wondering where you would choose to live in London with a budget of 1.5m (obviously would prefer to spend less)?

Currently we are in the Home Counties but looking to move back to London within the next year/year and a half having been away for 4 years. I'm finding suburban village life quite suffocating, hence the move.

We're looking at Muswell Hill/Crouch End but are open to other areas - I don't know south or west London at all. Schools aren't an issue as we will be going private.

We will be looking for a 4 bedroom house, not a flat and would like somewhere with a decent high street; where we are is very, very quiet, something I'm not keen to replicate...

We know we are very lucky to have such a healthy budget but frankly, I'm quite shocked at how much prices have rocketed since we left!

plushoctopus Sun 04-Jan-15 17:21:48

I like Islington or Camden - quite central, good transport and good high streets. At that budget you won't get a huge place but you can find a 4 bed house.

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-45733822.html

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-49406090.html

themagicamulet Sun 04-Jan-15 17:44:11

Alas that Camden house is so close to the railway bridge it's almost under it.

Wormatthebottomofthegarden Sun 04-Jan-15 21:31:16

South west London!

Clapham junction, love it.

We've moved away now but it's a great place if you have DC. It's its own town, we rarely went into Central London when we lived there. Good schools and very child orientated. Great shops along the Northcote road (I miss the fabulous bread stall) and right by clapham common. Easy to get to Richmond, Wimbledon and Putney and 10 minutes into Waterloo.

Full of private schools.

tapenade70 Sun 04-Jan-15 21:33:52

Crouch end! I live on border of stroud green and crouch end and love it. Look at mountview road in your price bracket. Gorgeous houses. It's quiet but close enough to town. Everyone is v friendly with a v local feel. I much prefer it to SW london and islington..both of which i have lived in.

Iggly Sun 04-Jan-15 21:36:34

Beckenham

20 mins to London bridge or Victoria. Nice tree lined streets. Enough of a high street

Or blackheath

Wormatthebottomofthegarden Sun 04-Jan-15 21:37:05

m.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/34567828

If only I had the money...

Spadequeen Sun 04-Jan-15 21:39:09

Se London, you could get a fab house with that budget, great schools in the area, good links into London and very easy to get to Europe. Blackheath has lovely shops as does dulwich and greenwich but you could go off piste and look I area like brockley, forest hill, crystal palace where you'd get a lot more for your money.

radiobedhead Sun 04-Jan-15 21:46:42

Op - there's a thread asking about where to spend a measly £1m. Lots of suggestions there. You'll be able to get four instead of three bedrooms and maybe an integrated dishwasher.
wink

Iggly Sun 04-Jan-15 21:48:25

I'd buy this www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-49142690.html

Or this and use the change to do the place up a bit www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-49222637.html

radiobedhead Sun 04-Jan-15 21:48:48

Out of interest - why the name change? The £1m namechanged too.

Pennies Sun 04-Jan-15 21:49:38

Stoke Newington?

minipie Sun 04-Jan-15 21:53:33

How old are your DC? if pre school or primary age I suggest Northcote road area. If not - Richmond, Putney, Fulham, Chiswick all have thriving high streets and lovely houses, you should get 4 beds for £1.5m I think.

What is your and DH's commute situation ie where do you need to get to for work?

WanttogotoDisney Sun 04-Jan-15 22:00:21

Mill Hill

www.primelocation.com/for-sale/details/30000744#4HWyc4L8r3zwRWVO.97

www.primelocation.com/for-sale/details/31387083#CtT5yI5oyKPtDpJ7.97

www.primelocation.com/for-sale/details/32851253#kkDXKl1FLARX2h6D.97

radiobedhead Sun 04-Jan-15 22:01:59

mini - schools not an issue as going private

Does location not matter with private schools?

Wormatthebottomofthegarden Sun 04-Jan-15 22:08:35

m.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/34815705?search_identifier=b8484c1abfc69450321d49713cac32a2

minipie Sun 04-Jan-15 22:09:28

I think location does matter to some extent for private schools if primary as you don't want youung dc to have a long journey to school... But the tiny catchment areas of state schools don't apply obv.

Regardless of schools I think the age of dc is relevant as some areas are better for small dc and some for older DC.

Wormatthebottomofthegarden Sun 04-Jan-15 22:09:47

m.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/34113071?search_identifier=b8484c1abfc69450321d49713cac32a2

Parietal Sun 04-Jan-15 22:17:48

you are optimistic in saying 'schools aren't an issue as we are going private'. Private schools are often oversubscribed with waiting lists, and getting a place is not easy. you need to start looking NOW for Sept 2015.

we made a similar move a couple of years ago. we started by looking at schools and then applying to various private schools. when we had a school we liked, we got a house within walking distance. At one point, we had 3 possible schools in 3 very different areas, and our final location was determined by which school gave the DDs places. we are now v. happy with a v. short commute to school, which is lovely. driving to school across north london everyday is horrible.

radiobedhead Sun 04-Jan-15 22:31:53

Maybe they're shipped off to boarding school?

Wormatthebottomofthegarden Sun 04-Jan-15 23:08:48

Forgot to say, Wandsworth has the cheapest council tax in the country.

minipie Mon 05-Jan-15 10:01:14

Yes, Parietal is right, for many London private primary schools you need to register asap after birth to get a reception place. But entry in later years may be easier (or at least, is dependent on chance rather than early registration).

OP, how old are your children?

bigTillyMint Mon 05-Jan-15 10:07:15

East Dulwich. You could get a nice place for that and be on the doorstep for Alleyns/Jags/Dulwich College. Or Dulwich Vill if you prefer villagey.

Itscoldouthere Tue 06-Jan-15 12:47:48

I agree that schools do matter as you have to think about how to get to them.

There is only one private primary school in Muswell hill so if you don't go there then you will be driving somewhere and it can take a long time. Many go to Hampstead but it is a long trip (time wise not distance). Of course it will depend what age your children are.

Also the state schools in Muswell Hill are all good so you are missing out on the local community contacts that local school brings if you don't use them. The premium on house prices in Muswell Hill is because of the state schools so you are paying extra for something you don't use.

Having lived there (Muswell Hill) if I was going back now and not looking at state schools I would move to Dartmouth Park, it's nearer the tube and the Heath and has a really nice community feel but is more urban than Muswell Hill.

thesaurusgirl Wed 07-Jan-15 10:04:33

Radiobedhead People namechange because some MNers love to have a pointless, envious pop at people with expensive houses on the property thread.

FWIW, everyone I know living in a house of this value or greater in London is either older (bought pre-2000), or has had an early inheritance following a parent's premature death.

In either case, I would never swap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now