Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What would you hang over this fireplace?

(27 Posts)
Kitsmummy Sat 03-Jan-15 21:00:01

I've nearly finished decorating my front room but am really stuck as to how to make the fire place a bit prettier. The dimensions are odd, it's a tall fireplace so leaves only a narrow bit above the surround.

The tv will be to the right on a built in cabinet (not done yet) and the left hand side of the fireplace will be stacked up with wood.

I was wondering about a shelf above the surround and then I could put a clock/pictures/artfully arranged clutter?! Please feel free to link to any suggestions, thanks

Mrsgrumble Sat 03-Jan-15 21:01:44

I would put an antique clock above it

Kitsmummy Sat 03-Jan-15 21:03:35

It feels a bit cold to me too, so may get some nice grey woollen blankets/throws etc (think White Company type).

Fuck, I've spent loads of money and many hours decorating and I've just got the feeling I've not got it right angry

SwedishEdith Sat 03-Jan-15 21:07:01

What's the wall colour? I like it and agree that a clock on the mantlepiece would look lovely.

Kitsmummy Sat 03-Jan-15 21:14:49

It's f&b Moles Breath. I do like it and I love certain parts of the room (little chair area below) but the fireplace end definitely needs something. Perhaps a mantelpiece and clock then, thank you

Yika Sat 03-Jan-15 21:20:40

I don't think I'd anything above the fire as it's already quite high, and I don't think you want to draw the eye away from the fire which is a feature in itself. I think I'd put a shelf half way up the left hand alcove wall with a nice lamp on it (and the stacked logs underneath). I think that corner alcove needs a nice glow, balancing out the light from the TV, and the ceiling light looks quite harsh from the pic.

snowgirl1 Sat 03-Jan-15 21:22:34

Looks like a lovely cosy room. I agree a clock would look good - but I'd maybe go for a wall clock, rather than mantelpiece which looks like it would stick out at a height that you could easily crack your head on. How about throws in a contrasting colour? Cream to match your rug? It looks like you have grey walls, grey sofa, grey floor and grey lampshade. I love grey (our lounge is painted grey), but I think grey throws might be a bit too much.

DotMcStuffins Sat 03-Jan-15 21:27:20

A narrow shelf and a collection of little white houses, maybe tea light holders?
www.younghouselove.com/2013/01/one-little-two-little-three-little-updates/

SoMuchForSubtlety Sat 03-Jan-15 21:27:49

I think the room would look bigger without a coffee table. It's a cosy looking room size-wise but with a style of furniture that is usually in a larger space. We have small wooden stools that we use as side tables which works quite well from a practical pov without taking too much space.

The couches are also quite dark, and because of the modern style it's quite an unrelieved block of severe colour. Something to break it up (throws or whatever) would help I think.

Kitsmummy Sat 03-Jan-15 21:38:23

Great, thanks for all the comments. I agree about the grey overload, it needs softening so I think a lamp could be good. Ref throws, I was thinking of poss a v pale grey, quite different from the sofa? In defence of the sofa, I think it looks nicer in real life than it looks in the photo, bit it does need breaking up with something.

Love those little white houses too!

The ceiling light needs to be changed btw, it's some hideous old thing (previous owners, I've only just moved in), so will replace with nicer light and dimmer switch.

I cannot get rid of the coffee table though, it's just about my fave piece of furniture smile

LovingTheSunshine Sat 03-Jan-15 23:56:20

Looks beautiful! What about putting up a shelf either side of the chimney breast to balance the proportions?

AesopsMables Sun 04-Jan-15 08:45:14

If you are planning on filling both sides of the chimney breast - left side with logs and right with fitted furniture I would leave the space above the fireplace as it is.

For throws I would select a similar shade to your yellow cushion as it will 'lift' the colour scheme.

AesopsMables Sun 04-Jan-15 08:47:47

I would also avoid the little white houses effect, especially over a wood burner as they will be a nightmare to dust!

emeline Sun 04-Jan-15 11:48:57

I'd probably drape fairy lights around the fireplace! Pretty ones that look nice unlit too.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 04-Jan-15 12:02:53

I've got f&b manor house grey which is very dark too but I've used ice pink to soften it & warm it up a bit. We have a fire place in james white & it looks good.

Then I got silver lamps to add a bit of light & reflect out.

Dh wanted yellow accent cushions but I thought it would look too cold.

TheWildRumpyPumpus Sun 04-Jan-15 12:11:39

I love your cosy chair corner!

I'd leave the space above the fire as it is too, just balance out the alcoves with some shelving/lighting and it'll look great.

I'd carry through the pale yellow colour from the chair, we have a great grey/yellow throw from John Lewis that is incredibly comfy, I'll look for a link.

emeline Sun 04-Jan-15 12:13:57

Could paint the log basket and get a few more gold framed round mirrors, would soften things up a bit too. I like the painting of flowers, you could pick up that theme. Surface view has lots of really good flower prints, think you can crop them to your designed size, at least, you can if you use them as decals.
Maybe some wallpaper in the design of old library shelves would look good above the fire place!

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 04-Jan-15 12:28:11

Could you paint the bricks to match the mantle? Or would that be sacrilidge?.

If you're set on yellow (you'd get on with my dh there) how about a mustard yellow? & lots of cushions on the sofas?. 7 on each sofa.

Tk maxx is great for cushions, I've bought ones in there & then seen them in John Lewis.

Kitsmummy Sun 04-Jan-15 13:55:16

Thanks for all the input. I think what I'm going to go with is: shelf approx two thirds up the wall on left hand side above the logs. This will have a lamp, pics and stuff on it. I will leave above the fireplace unless I can find some nice fairy lights that I like enough.

I need to stick with the yellow in the room because of the chair and have just bought a length of this laura ashley gold ish fabric which actually looks lovely (the paisley prints themselves are massive, quite cool) so I'll buy more and make curtains and I think that will warm the room up a lot. May change the cushions too and get a few more as I've had them for years and I don't think they look great now.

Obviously this "quick paint job" on the room is now going to turn out a lot more expensive than originally planned but I'll just console myself that the rest of the house really does only need painting!

PrimalLass Sun 04-Jan-15 14:05:21

I'd still put a narrow mirror above it, as it will break up the grey. Probably one with a white frame.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 04-Jan-15 14:14:33

It's never a quick paint job here either....

stonecircle Sun 04-Jan-15 15:46:55

I love the armchair in your picture - it's exactly what I'm looking for. I've just decorated my home office and moved stuff around to try and create a little chair area too so I can escape from the family living room when I want some peace and quiet. But it's not a huge space and so many armchairs are bulky. That one looks neat but still something comfy you could settle into. Do you mind me asking where you got it?

I love the wall colour by the way.

thesaurusgirl Sun 04-Jan-15 16:13:07

It's a gorgeous room. Love the colour and your little armchair nook.

Is the chimney piece original to your house? If so, paint it the same colour as the walls. Painting it white accentuates its odd proportions and draws the eye to the wrong focus.

If it's not original, remove it and and then plaster and paint the chimney wall to match the rest of the room. I'd then put in a very chunky wooden lintel along the bottom of your current opening to add to the rustic feel, draw the eye down, and give you a mantel shelf.

Try some Welsh blankets on the sofas to add colour and texture. The National Trust ones are great value.

Kitsmummy Sun 04-Jan-15 16:13:51

Thanks, it was just a £30 armchair off of ebay and I got it recovered, it's v comfy.

Kitsmummy Sun 04-Jan-15 16:19:39

I think it's original, it's ancient so I'm pretty sure it's probably original. Do you know, I did toy with the idea of painting it an off black but decided against it in the end. It probably seems like I'm obsessed with black and grey and I'm really not! I'm don't have it anywhere else but just seem to gravitate towards it in this room confused

I could paint it the same colour as the walls, I'm not a fan as such of the white but thought maybe it needed to be a stand out colour.

I may give it a whirl, I can always paint it back if I don't like it I guess

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now