Advanced search

New boiler put in - what certificates needed from the plumber?

(4 Posts)
NinaRose Sat 03-Jan-15 14:47:47

Disaster struck a week before Christmas, MIL's boiler stopped working. Frantic calling around and a plumber came in, only to say the old boiler was not worth fixing and to get a new one installed. Faced with a festive period with no heating or hot water, with all the grandchildren due to visit, MIL quickly arranged for a new boiler to be installed. New boiler in place now, working beautifully. Plumber has sent bill but no other paper work. Should MIL be getting some sort of certificate (CORGI or whatever they are called) from the plumber?

specialsubject Sat 03-Jan-15 16:03:37

assuming it is gas; if the 'plumber' does not hold a Gas Safe registration then the work is illegal. So check that he does. Corgi went out a few years back.

he should notify the council via Gas Safe, and then in a few weeks you get a building regulations certificate. So check he has kicked off that process.

you also need the guarantee, which should be at least two years, the commissioning certificate and the instruction manual.

all being well this will all be in progress, but do check.

Ferguson Sat 03-Jan-15 19:37:20

Yes, used to be CORGI, now Gas Safe.

Years ago we had new gas system put in, and job was done well, but later we discovered guy wasn't CORGI registered (as didn't want to pay the membership fees) so we had to have another guy who WAS registered certify the work.

NinaRose Sat 03-Jan-15 19:39:41

Thanks! Plumber is apparently registered.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: