Talk

Advanced search

Gas fireplace

(4 Posts)
Pud2 Sat 03-Jan-15 14:01:05

I have an old gas fire that was already installed but it's one that just looks nice but doesn't give off any heat! I want to replace it with a gas fire that will help to heat the room. The gas supply is already in place which is an advantage. Does anyone have any tips about installing a gas fire? Are they expensive or economical to run? Any company recommendations (SW London)? Thank you.

roneik Sat 03-Jan-15 14:17:11

I had a flue less ,catalyst converter gas fire at my previous property and I didn't like what it did to the air. Difficult to describe , a bit like calor gas smell. It was nice to look at landscape shaped and stainless steel surround.So I would not recommend that type. I had the thing checked out but nothing found wrong with it

Pud2 Sat 03-Jan-15 18:33:28

Thanks roneik, that's good to know. Luckily I have a flue!

pregnantpause Sat 03-Jan-15 18:58:29

Decorative effect fires are just that- for decoration with an efficiency of around 70%shock avoid like the plague. They make up the majority of fires sold in b and q etc

If you have a flue I'd try to find a condensing fire- more expensive but over 90% efficient usually at least 95% in new ones.

I'm training as a has engineer ATM - I'm not just a fire enthusiastwink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now