Talk

Advanced search

How hard is it to lay vinyl flooring?

(13 Posts)
Methren Thu 01-Jan-15 15:55:26

Is it something I could do myself with fairly basic DIY skills?

Bathroom currently has sheet vinyl flooring. After we discovered water leaking through to the room downstairs, it appears that the previous owners didn't do a great job of sealing around the bath. Took the old sealant off today, intending to reseal, but current vinyl is stained and mouldy underneath. Am now wondering whether to just replace top layer of (stained) vinyl with new sheet vinyl.

Have had a quick look at DIY sites and it looks pretty straightforward to cut and fit sheet vinyl. Current vinyl is laid over manky old vinyl same crap standard as the rest of the previous owners' renovations then. Would I need to glue it down? Do I seal around the edges of the walls where vinyl meets tiles as well as around bath/toilet/basin pedestal? How long before the bathroom could be used.

The floor is a bit uneven, but I'm not sure my DIY capabilities are up to fitting and priming a layer of hardwood sheets (and can't really have the bathroom out of action for long either). Don't really have the £££ for a professional job atm, though.

kimmy121 Thu 01-Jan-15 17:15:13

I did, whilst 7m pregnant no experience and no you tubing before hand.
my other half was out for the night,I nipped to the loo, saw the vinyl that had been there for weeks and went fir it.grin grin

it was ok actually, a couple of errors around the toilet but otherwise fine.

kimmy121 Thu 01-Jan-15 17:16:45

I used a sticky spray, bought with the vinyl.... something like this.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Flooring-Adhesive-Spray-500ml/p/240143

Purplecircle Thu 01-Jan-15 17:21:21

I did it with vinyl floor tiles and a Stanley knife. Easier than a sheet I think

Methren Fri 02-Jan-15 08:57:24

Many thanks for the responses - very encouraging to hear that others have managed it.

I think I'm going to go for it, with some vinyl tiles. I quite like the look of the ones that lock together, but not sure how easy they are to cut.

Purplecircle Fri 02-Jan-15 14:44:05

Mine were from homebase, they were £10 a pack, I bought a new Stanley knife specially
I didn't see any that lock together.

If you're cutting round the loo and sink, I recommend 'shaving' a bit off at a time to get the curve

PolterGoose Fri 02-Jan-15 17:03:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Methren Fri 02-Jan-15 17:31:48

I've bought some very nice oak effect vinyl tiles from Homebase and have spent the afternoon ripping up the old sheet vinyl and scrubbing the manky ancient vinyl tiles underneath with sugar soap. Looks quite clean now so I think it's pretty well prepped, just has to dry out.

Purple the ones that lock together have a little overhang with grooves that fit to the adjacent tile. It sounded good in principle, but when I looked at them in the flesh they were very thick and looked like they'd be a bugger to cut round toilet/basin pedestal etc. So I have thinner self-adhesive ones. Another question though - will the adhesive backing be enough or can/should I also use a spray adhesive?

TeddyBee Fri 02-Jan-15 18:05:40

Don't use any other adhesive, self adhesive ones are fine and they really object to having other glue on them (I discovered). Make sure you template with paper or card for tricky spots and go slow. Mine look lovely although the chequerboard rooms look loads better than the en suites which I did in one colour because I didn't want them to look busy.

caroldecker Fri 02-Jan-15 18:30:59

Also don't start in a corner as most rooms are not square. This video (from about 3.30 mins to 7 mins) shows how to work out where to start

bluevanman Fri 02-Jan-15 18:42:56

Can't say I've ever seen a nice self adhesive vinyl job, they're always curling up at the corners, but then, they are a DIY product..

With sheet vinyl, you want spray glue 3inches around the perimeter of all cuts, seal the edges with silicone as you will need to hide your cuts (better to be 1.5mm short than 0.1mm much)
If your floorboards are level with no gaps you should be ok. But be aware they may show though in time..
It's always better to fit onto hardboard or ply but that will add a lot onto time and money if it's not already done (not mentioning more tools and skill required)
Finally I'd recommend getting a professional in. Small bathroom would come under a £35 minimum charge for me. Is it worth messing it up?

iamthenewgirl Fri 02-Jan-15 18:58:20

DH did it in our old property. It was a small bathroom but he did a fantastic job. I don't think it was too hard. Look on You Tube for tutorials.

TeddyBee Fri 02-Jan-15 18:59:30

Come and see my bathroom then, it's lovely. You can see a bit of it here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now