Talk

Advanced search

Single Parent Relocating Renting

(6 Posts)
JillyC8 Thu 01-Jan-15 12:18:17

Hi, I am a single mum and will be moving to a new area soon with my 13 and 12 year olds. I will be selling my house and renting for a while but will need to give up my job to move as the new town is too far away to commute. Does anyone know if I will be able to rent privately through an agent without a job? I plan to find work as soon as we're settled and will be in a position to pay rent for six months if I need to. Will I need a guarantor? I would love to hear from anyone with experience.

specialsubject Thu 01-Jan-15 17:04:14

as a landlord; paying six months in advance takes away the main worry of 'will the tenant pay the rent?' smile. Do this and you shouldn't need a guarantor. Make sure the money is ring-fenced should the agent go bust; the agent will drip feed the money to the landlord. (My tenant pays like this and I have checked that the money is safe even though I use a big agent). Do NOT use a small fly-by-night agent.

also your kids are past the wall scribbling stage, you have run a house before so can be assumed that you will a) keep it in a reasonable state an b) notice if something needs fixing and report it.

if you don't smoke and don't have pets you are a very desirable tenant. Good luck!

JillyC8 Thu 01-Jan-15 17:58:54

Thank you for your reply; that's good news and great advice thank you. My only minus is our small dog... Aren't landlords generally willing to allow a pet if an extra amount is paid for cleaning etc? I suppose that depends on the property and the landlord ...

specialsubject Thu 01-Jan-15 18:43:47

it does indeed.

With my first rental, I allowed cats and got a lot of damage; never again! The issues with dogs are smell, hair, damage, mess and neighbour nuisance. So your mission (should you choose to accept it smile) is to convince the landlord that these things won't happen. The property also needs to be suitable of course. A flat doesn't work, and if the neighbouring houses have dogs, will there be a barking match?

for instance, you are planning to go back to work; how does that fit with the dog? ('he never barks or chews things' is unconvincing because he probably doesn't when you are there).

a bigger deposit helps, but realistic solutions for possible problems are the real way forward to convincing a landlord to accept a dog. It can be done.

JillyC8 Thu 01-Jan-15 19:21:18

Hi, my dog is a dream - has never chewed anything and is used to being alone for a few hours without a fuss. My neighbours tell me they never hear a thing barking-wise.. but I realise I'm bound to say that! It is a problem and until I had a dog I would have been in agreement with you from a landlord perspective. It looks like I had better start practising being persuasive! Thanks for your advice - it's very much appreciated :-).

specialsubject Fri 02-Jan-15 11:44:03

sounds very promising - the fact that your neighbours say there's no disturbance is a big point in your favour!

as mentioned, put yourself in the landlord's shoes, think of his/her concerns, address them and there's no problem.

good luck in your house hunt!

ps don't forget the important checks; gas safe, deposit protection, state of property. My usual advice; don't rent a dump, it won't improve.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now