Talk

Advanced search

How would make this house look less 'dated' ?

(43 Posts)
Mrsgrumble Wed 31-Dec-14 16:16:45

I think it would be better painted white?

Would love ideas

MillyMollyMama Wed 31-Dec-14 17:32:25

My initial reaction is that this needs more than a lick of paint. It is an uninspiring bungalow in a very bland garden. I would look at changing the front door. Give it an attractive porch - are those columns by the front door? I would urgently landscape the garden.

Someone in our village RE clad their bungalow in wood and it now looks like a barn. It is fantastic. Costs more than paint though.

ChristmasName Wed 31-Dec-14 17:41:22

Can you remove the decorative stone effect bits on the corners? Even if you need to patch the render after it will look a lot nicer.

AMumInScotland Wed 31-Dec-14 17:50:05

Could you pick out the decorative stonework corners in a more subtle shade? I'm guessing they're painted not just actual stone? You could choose something to go with the main cream colour if the rest doesn't need any work.

As above, a porch outside the front door would liven it up a bit and break up the '70s box' effect.

And definitely do something with the garden, even a couple of feature plants in the coners of the grass would break it up.

singleandfabulous Wed 31-Dec-14 17:53:36

clad it in proper stone or wood. Replace upvc windows & doors with trad. wood. Remove the pillars, add a dormer room and porch. Add some potted bushes by the door and as Millymomma said, give the garden some life and depth (interest). Bungalows are hard to tart up.

CatsClaus Wed 31-Dec-14 18:00:16

if it is in scotland then white with the quoins in grey would help lessen the 70's swanky bungalow vibe. Dunno otherwise.

surroundings are very bare too, and the windows look vacant.

DayLillie Wed 31-Dec-14 18:00:25

The bungalow is fine. It is definitely the garden that needs some landscaping. Choose your style!

Mrsgrumble Wed 31-Dec-14 18:25:09

It isn't one we own but the most similar to one we are thinking of purchasing that I could find on google image without 'outing' ourselves.

I hate the corner stones but I like the pillars.. Rendering sounds good!

Thank You

Clawdy Wed 31-Dec-14 19:20:41

Am I the only one who thought it looked really nice!

NotTheKitchenAgainPlease Wed 31-Dec-14 19:28:44

Paint the outside white and a porch and new front door. Some large potted plants and planting some fruit trees? Lighting? Actually I really have notting original to add.
Massive front garden though - very nice.

Happynapi Wed 31-Dec-14 19:37:14

I like it. Clean neat would only add plants.

lem73 Wed 31-Dec-14 19:42:50

I like it.

specialsubject Wed 31-Dec-14 19:47:42

who cares what a house looks like as long as it is well-maintained?

looks fine to me.

cuppateaandtoast Wed 31-Dec-14 19:51:43

I like it! Just needs a few plants in garden.

awfulomission Wed 31-Dec-14 19:54:08

I like it, just needs the edges softening with more plants and a few nice things in the windows.

If you wanted it to look more modern, I'd clad it in wood, eco style and change the windows to a dark, slate grey colour. The door would have to be changed too. And the garden would have to be a bit wilder, more naturally planted.

GemmaTeller Wed 31-Dec-14 19:54:48

I like it!

skildpadden Wed 31-Dec-14 19:56:39

I'd paint the whole house grey and paint/replace the front door a classy dark navy.

That house is so wessshhht of Ireland. Are in the wilds of county clare?

Mrsgrumble Wed 31-Dec-14 19:59:19

Appreciate comments and advice.. Off to google but think this might be a runner for us

Happy and Healthy New Year to you all wine

Mrsgrumble Wed 31-Dec-14 20:04:43

I like these colours.. But old cladding sounds good

Not in the wesssht ;)

Mrsgrumble Wed 31-Dec-14 20:05:27

These colours

NotTheKitchenAgainPlease Wed 31-Dec-14 20:07:52

Those colours are lovely.

Ohanarama Wed 31-Dec-14 20:12:55

Budget permitting, two rendered dormers in the roof, a timber-framed porch, re-render the two sides to cover over the brick quions, paint white with grey aluminium frames or cream with black aluminium frames, plant fruit trees in the garden either side of the house to frame it and box hedging alongside the drive and some trellis with roses. Again budget permitting grin

Somethingtodo Wed 31-Dec-14 20:41:32

What is your budget? Love the colour scheme you have posted.

Would change each of the two big side windows to 2 large sashes (victorian/georgian) each and the 2 recessed windows either side of the door full height french doors onto the porch area.... I am from the wessssht of Ireland and it looks like every house down here! Needs dormers - would go for x4 small ones.

Go for a style - New England / Georgian / Victorian etc the research the proper proportions of doors windows for that style...

Bungalows are hard to pimp - but would go classic route and copy trad scottish or victorian villas

take some inspiration from this amazing website where they makeover exteriors...

www.backtofrontexteriordesign.com/

Bonsoir Wed 31-Dec-14 20:47:07

I am a great believer in embracing, not camouflaging, the architectural style of houses. And I really like the bungalow in the OP. You should spend your money on the garden, which is awful.

skildpadden Wed 31-Dec-14 21:07:52

somethingtodo wow, that transformation is miraculous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now