Talk

Advanced search

Top tips for packing up and moving home?

(27 Posts)
Homerun Tue 30-Dec-14 14:38:32

Have yet to start packing as still in the process of drawing up contracts but really want to get ahead of the game.
4 kids, loads of stuff and we both work - I don't know where to start and would love some strategies to make the whole process less stressful. I estimate moving date to be about 6 weeks.

Thanks

fakenamefornow Tue 30-Dec-14 14:41:40

Get packers.

You don't have to do any packing, everything is available to use until the day before the move then they come in the day before and do it all.

Homerun Tue 30-Dec-14 14:43:56

How much do they cost roughly? Have you used them? And did you get rid of all your junk first? I think I would be embarrassed to let others pack my stuff as loads needs throwing out first! Sorry for all questions

OutDamnSpot Tue 30-Dec-14 14:49:22

Yes, yes, yes to the packers. Was about £250 on top of our moving quote, about 20% of total I think. But is heaven - took 2 men 10-3ish to pack our 4 bed, 3 DC house.

At other end, all was in labelled stackable boxes, waiting in correct room to be unpacked.

So if you can afford it, I say spend your time de cluttering and sorting and let others pack.

Purplecircle Tue 30-Dec-14 14:50:11

I got one of my friends to help me sort stuff. Having another person questioning why I was keeping a load of old crap was really helpful and made me see when I was being irrational.

Find someone to do a load of eBay selling for you for a cut - you probably won't ever get around to doing it

The packers were fab. It took about 3 hours for 2 blokes to pack up my entire house into 80 boxes and cost about £300 - worth every penny.

I wish I'd had time to sort the kitchen beforehand as when we'd moved and I had no storage, I got rid of tons more!

PurpleWithRed Tue 30-Dec-14 14:52:23

I said packers too on your other thread. The best move I ever did got packers to pack absolutely everything, and I unpacked next to the builder's skip at our new home chucking as I went. Brilliant.

Losingmyreligion Tue 30-Dec-14 14:55:10

Packers packers packers. But declutter as much as you possibly can first. No point paying them to pack and move stuff you'll be getting rid of anyway.

chockbic Tue 30-Dec-14 14:57:13

Be ruthless and throw stuff away that isn't used. Else you'll be carting extra items forever.

SnowLondon Tue 30-Dec-14 15:07:14

Label boxes. ie... kitchen Dc1 bedroom, bathroom etc....

Start packing things u don't use much!

Homerun Tue 30-Dec-14 17:06:00

Thanks all, looks like packers is the way. I hadn't even considered them but it sounds like it would save so much effort.

Quitethewoodsman Tue 30-Dec-14 17:10:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HopeClearwater Tue 30-Dec-14 17:16:33

What everyone else has said... Get packers! I've moved four times and I would always, always, find the money to pay for packers. In addition, start decluttering now. Look around you and see what doesn't need to come with you to your new place. Moving is such a great opportunity to get rid of stuff. You will feel glad you've done it when you are in your next place!

CharlesRyder Tue 30-Dec-14 17:20:58

Packers actually makes it quite exciting instead of a nightmare.

Yes though, throw out all crap first. They will move EVERYTHING even the dust bunnies and it's a bit depressing moving junk into your new house.

We were letting out our house in our wake last time we moved so we sent in professional cleaners behind us- also made the whole thing so much better.

Purplecircle Tue 30-Dec-14 17:32:21

Ooh yes keep your bedding separate so you can make up beds first

apotatoprintinapeartree Tue 30-Dec-14 17:32:50

I've never used packers as couldn't see the point.
All personal things I'd want to do myself and what about irreplaceable objects if they broke them.

Ditto to having a good declutter and labelling boxes.
Also pack first what you aren't going to need, for example summer clothes and related items.

Then move onto household stuff like ornaments, keepsakes etc.

Keep going like this and you'll soon be done.

LizzieMint Tue 30-Dec-14 17:37:56

We're going to be moving in a couple of weeks and are planning to use packers for the first time. I'm hoping it'll take most of the stress away. We've been trying to declutter but still have loads to do so some is just going to have to wait until after.

Homerun Tue 30-Dec-14 18:00:15

Ooh lots of good tips. The actual packing strikes me as straightforward, if time consuming . It's the de cluttering that worries me - I can be a bit extreme, either getting rid of everything ( and then realising I've left myself nowt to wear) or hoarding everything. Kids' toys are hard as they always come back to them.
But we do have lots of junk...
With Packers, could I pack some stuff myself? Just thinking I could clear out summer clothes, ornaments etc as suggested; also it makes sense to pack as I de clutter?

Homerun Tue 30-Dec-14 18:01:01

And good luck Lizzie

LizzieMint Tue 30-Dec-14 18:03:27

Thanks, you too, we're in a bit of denial at the moment, January sounds like it's ages away! grin

Mulledwineandmincepies Tue 30-Dec-14 19:28:17

The removals can do a partial pack. Ie just kitchen or downstairs. Our packers charge £400 which seems expensive now in comparison.

Purplecircle Tue 30-Dec-14 20:23:00

They will be careful with everything. You don't have to stand over them. Anything private or precious you can pack yourself

Word of warning mine packed the broadband router and my mobile phone! They will literally pack the lot!

Millionprammiles Tue 30-Dec-14 20:28:47

Our removals/packers were complete stars. They kept us calm when we still hadn't completed by 4pm and once we had the keys they'd put every piece of furniture and every box exactly where we wanted it, in under 90 mins.

They packed far better than we would have had the time/patience to do. Had nifty wardrobe boxes so clothes were packed on hangers, things in drawers were wrapped for protection but left in drawers so unpacking was easy, everything was packed and labelled logically and not a single thing was broken.
They dismantled and put together the beds/cot and plumbed the washing machine. They even fixed a chest of drawers they noticed was broken.

We were unpacked in less than 48 hours, mainly because of the way they'd packed.

Pack essentials in your car (few clothes, overnight stuff, bed linen, kids favourite toys, potties, nappies, essential cutlery/crockery, kettle, bottle opener, paperwork, chargers, etc ).

And definitely declutter, especially loft/garage/shed.

Izzy24 Tue 30-Dec-14 20:35:08

If you decide to pack yourself, you still need to buy packing materials and boxes. I'd say get packers every time - so much less stressful and it takes so long to pack . Plus everything arrives in one piece.

And v v important to GET RID of stuff you don't want beforehand .

Good luck!

InsertUsernameHere Tue 30-Dec-14 21:09:50

Packers! In the pre-pack stage it is a case of tidying and decluttering. I presume you will have done the some in order to move. They will pack everything so be clear about what must be left (think lights hades/ White goods) or they will come too. If something doesn't have a 'home' in your current place unless special it doesn't need to come with you. Concentrate on the lurking stuff - the boxes that came with you from your last move. I wouldn't pack anything into boxes now otherwise it will stay there for ever. Pack things into where they are meant to be (for us we store thick duvets in the suitcases - so that's where they went). If you are taking wardrobes/ chests of drawers work towards your clothes fitting in them! Also it doesn't really make a difference to the cost if you have decluttered or not - so don't stress if you don't get it all done! There is enough stress in moving as it is.

specialsubject Wed 31-Dec-14 10:20:56

for comparison: we packed ourselves, after a LOT of decluttering. Just two of us, two bedrooms worth of stuff and proportionate living areas.

it still took me two solid weeks (I wasn't working), plus a lot longer to acquire the packaging materials (freecycle etc). AND we took all the garden stuff separately.

not saying it can't be done but do not underestimate what is involved!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now