Talk

Advanced search

URGENT- will my new dishwasher be delivered with a cold fill inlet hose?

(17 Posts)
Alphonso Tue 30-Dec-14 08:40:07

Having a nightmare! Old dishwasher broken. Ordered new one in the sales and asked for installation and recycling of old machine. Have just unplumbed old machine ready for it to be taken away. Now have flood in kitchen caused by leaking cold water fill pipe together with forgetting to turn water off first (not great at DIY). They are due any minute so I need to get mopping... But do I also need to rush out and buy one of those blue cold water fill hoses or will my new machine come with one? Very, very grateful for any advice! Fully expecting them to refuse to plumb anything in and also refuse to set foot in the place as it is a paddling pool disaster area in my kitchen.

IgnoreMeEveryOtherReindeerDoes Tue 30-Dec-14 08:42:58

Should come with one.

MrsPnut Tue 30-Dec-14 08:43:38

No, it comes with one.

AlpacaLypse Tue 30-Dec-14 08:44:30

I'm pretty certain our new one arrived complete with all necessary hoses, even though DP had kept the old ones just in case when he took the old one to the recycling centre. Because I kept tripping over them in the utility room for weeks afterwards!

Alphonso Tue 30-Dec-14 08:45:38

Thank you both so much. Very relieved to hear this!

Alphonso Tue 30-Dec-14 08:48:25

And thanks to you too Alpacalypse. (X post). Back to mopping! Still looks like a disaster in the kitchen and if they arrive any time soon I am doomed... They have given me a 8.30-12.30 window so who knows how much time I have!

wowfudge Tue 30-Dec-14 08:57:19

Get a couple of towels to soak up the water instead of mopping forever. Far easier. I keep a couple of old towels for just this sort of thing.

Alphonso Tue 30-Dec-14 08:59:43

Do I need to disconnect the blue hose, do you think or would they be willing to do that for me? It's really awkward and won't unscrew easily from the water pipe end. I have a horrible feeling that they will throw a hissy fit and leave and I will have to call a plumber out. Sigh!

Alphonso Tue 30-Dec-14 09:01:26

Thanks wowfudge. Have done as suggested and kitchen now semi-dry! Hurrah! Still not sure what to do about getting blue hose off the water pipe...

IAmAPaleontologist Tue 30-Dec-14 09:05:30

Why don't you just leave the blue hose connected if it is a pain to unscrew and connect it up to your new machine and keep the hose that comes with your new machine as a spare?

Alphonso Tue 30-Dec-14 09:25:16

The hose is leaking quite badly at the dishwasher end, IAmAPaleontologist. So I think it needs replacing but the other end connects to a water pipe that is v short and oddly situated behind the gas metre and I can't unscrew it.

PigletJohn Tue 30-Dec-14 12:58:20

the end of the hose that goes into the machine often goes underneath and can be very difficult to get at. It is done up very tight in the factory.

It is usual to undo the end at the kitchen outlet. It has a special hard plastic nut with ears sticking out, if you can't turn it using both hands and rubber gloves, a pipe wrench will do it.

Better machines are now delivered with an extra-fat inlet hose which includes a leak detector that can turn off the supply, so you wouldn't want to take that off.

PigletJohn Tue 30-Dec-14 13:00:39

p.s.

If you do get a plumber in, ask him to move the pipe so that the tap is easy to get at. It does not need to be hidden away at the back of a cupboard. In Germany it is the norm to put the tap at the front of the cupboard so you can easily see it and turn it.

Alphonso Tue 30-Dec-14 16:10:56

Thanks, pigletjohn. As suspected the delivery installer people took one look and ran away quivering with fear! I just can't get to the nut at the kitchen outlet. There is barely enough room to get my fingers either side of it and it won't budge at all. I don't have a pipe wrench or know what one is exactly but am not sure one could be manoeuvred back there. Have called plumber.

CountingThePennies Tue 30-Dec-14 16:18:43

The problem with the installation service when buying a new appliance is that they are not plumbers. They have just been shown how to fit very straightforward appliances.

So if its not a very straightforward swap then they dont know what they are doing.

I run a plumbing and heating company and its quite common for me to get calls from customers who have leaking pipe work from an installation service they have opted for when buying a washer or dishwasher.

Alphonso Tue 30-Dec-14 22:22:18

Huzzah! I have managed to do improvised plumbing with knife, saw, screw driver, hammer, brain power and brute force and got the bastard blue hose off. Dishwasher is now installed by me and it seems to be working! Plumber cancelled. Very pleased.

poocatcherchampion Wed 31-Dec-14 11:40:29

weldone!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now