Talk

Advanced search

Alternative to curtains?

(6 Posts)
SnowBells Mon 29-Dec-14 22:12:59

We moved into a new built three story townhouse. Ground floor is a great entertainment space (kitchen, family / dining room, etc.). Our main living room (used as a TV room / study / snug) is in the first floor, with one long window and a Juliet balcony overlooking the street below.

When we moved in, I had no plans for curtains for this room. I sort of like 'Swedish' interiors, you see. However, DH stayed at home today, and we have come to a disagreement. Events are held down the road from us, which apparently resulted in heavy foot traffic, and DH felt deprived of privacy (he's a very private person). He now wants something to cover the windows.

I really don't like the thought of curtains. I like shutters, but this isn't a Victorian property. Have never seen them on new builds before.

What options are there other than curtains?

BathildaBagshot Mon 29-Dec-14 22:20:43

Maybe a plain (or printed) voile panel? We are street facing but I don't like having the curtains drawn all day so I bought one to pull across. Maybe have a look on Pinterest too?

bluebeanie Mon 29-Dec-14 22:34:25

I have a new build and just had internal shutters fitted. They look great. Ours are John Lewis/S:Craft. Have a look at their link. You can get a feel for how they look in modern properties. The only downer is they took 12 weeks to be made/shipped from China.

bluebeanie Mon 29-Dec-14 22:37:43

just to add, we are also street facing and you can get them so that the bottom 3/4 slats are closed, but the top 1/4 are open so you can get even more privacy. Hope that made sense.

Mum4Fergus Tue 30-Dec-14 00:00:15

Perfect Fit blinds...

SnowBells Tue 30-Dec-14 13:26:44

bluebeanie - do you have a picture of yours?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now