Talk

Advanced search

Pilot light won't stay lit

(6 Posts)
Up2nogood Sun 28-Dec-14 21:09:02

I know, probably been asked a thousand times.

I think our problem is due to water getting into the external vent......, on realising DS (3) had gone quiet in the garden, I found him spraying water out of his new fireman hose into the vent!! We'd said spray the windows and plants, stay away from the trampoline... Which to his credit he did hmm that was Boxing Day. Heating came on as usual this morning. But after it timed off we switched it back on but it didn't worked. Found the pilot light off. Re-lit, got it working but it must have gone back off relatively quickly as nothing got warm.

Now I can't get the light to stay lit after I realise the light switch.

Any idea of what I can do before calling out a plumber and spending a small fortune tomorrow?!

Please...! smile

roneik Mon 29-Dec-14 10:04:54

Well I would suggest reigniting the pilot and holding down on button for gas to pilot, wait until the main burner flame is alight and still hold onto the gas to pilot for a couple of minutes. This may get rid of the moisture in the area around the pilot. That may be putting out the pilot as it starts to evaporate. That's what I would do

wowfudge Mon 29-Dec-14 11:00:43

If you have a combi boiler, is the outlet pipe outside and is it frozen?

roneik Mon 29-Dec-14 17:40:38

She cant reply she went outside to check the outlet and is currently frozen to it. The emergency services are currently sawing through the last of the icicles fgrin

PigletJohn Mon 29-Dec-14 20:33:14

pilot lights and thermocouples which keep them alight are typical of rather old boilers. It is not likely to be a combi or a modern boiler.

The thermocouple is a service part and has to be replaced (simple repair) every few years. Near the sea they may last less than two years due to corrosive salt spray.

Up2nogood Tue 30-Dec-14 23:14:50

grin roneik! That would have been less painful than having to endure my husbands complaining while he
suffers hand foot and mouth and complains about the cold!!!' Funnily enough though, he's better enough to make it to the pub now!! hmm

Anyway it's fixed. A bit of perseverance getting the gas flowing worked. Probably got rid of the damp too. It's an ancient boiler.... I reckon 40 years plus. We moved in in the summer and are trying to hold out changing it until we do a kitchen extension but that's likely to be 3-4 years off!!!! confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now