Talk

Advanced search

Retrofit wet UFH

(9 Posts)
MrsFlorrick Sun 28-Dec-14 13:24:06

Looking for some views on this from those of you who have had it installed pref in an older house. How you like it and how toasty you are ��

Buying a project house where everything needs doing inc a completely new Central heating system (existing boiler no longer works and pipes and rads have clearly leaked before it was drained).

It's a Victorian house but we will be adding heritage double glazing to sashes (conservation area) and roof insulation during roof refurb (loft already converted with dormers).

I don't mind using a layover retrofit system and losing some floor to ceiling height. All the skirting boards are being taken off anyway due to other works. And high ceilings so a few cm won't make a difference.

I am also very interested to hear from anyone who has had a retro fit done under original floor boards. How much insulation you had fitted and how well it works and how wide your boards are.

And ideas of costs inc or excl boiler I don't mind. Also how you deal with hot water and whether you have two boilers or one boiler and a mega flo.

PurpleWithRed Sun 28-Dec-14 13:33:28

Bumping for you, mainly because I am so jealous. FWIW we had underfloor in our new build (in screed), plus a megaflow and a single boiler. Was plenty. The underfloor heating was wonderful. Wonderful wonderful wonderful.

Although it might dry your house out a bit and cause some shrinkage - Victorian houses weren't designed to be warm and dry.

MrsFlorrick Sun 28-Dec-14 13:41:47

Purple. Thanks. grin At "not designed to be warm and dry".

And how is your electricity bill if you're using just the mega flo for hot water?

ChishandFips33 Sun 28-Dec-14 13:55:07

We are doing retro fit over concrete ground floor. There is no original insulation in the floor (1960's house) so we are looking at some sort of dense insulated boards with aluminium spreader plates over the top and then the pipes sit in the grooves. All in all takes up about 20mm + flooring and any underlay/adhesive needed - with your tall ceilings you'd be fine jealous!

They say we'll lose about 5% heat down over and I'm terrified the house is going to be cold (open plan ground floor) so we've been looking at some sort of aluminium foil sheeting to go down before the boards - except the insulation boards need to be glued to the floor so I don't think the foil is an option sad

We've also been furiously filling cracks, fixing draughts, adding insulation to any cavity that will take it, new windows etc to help minimise any chance of being cold!

I was surprised at the cost; it wasn't as expensive as I'd anticipated and we were having to do new boiler, rads and full pipe work and sort flooring cracks anyway so it all made sense (and makes furniture layout easier than trying to avoid radiators)

What flooring are you planning on using on top of your UFH? Are you sticking with your original floorboards - will they warp/move with the heat?

oh, linky

MrsFlorrick Sun 28-Dec-14 14:01:34

Chisandfips.

On the ground floor I am planning oak parquet (I've found a number of suppliers whose parquet products are recommend by NuHeat).

Also planning to have it installed upstairs. The original floor boards on the upper floors are in great condition but quite wide at circa 200mm.

The ground floor boards are in poor condition and a lot will need replacing hence new oak parquet. Also extending kitchen to create large kitchen and diner/ day/family area.
And new futility room.

sacbina Sun 28-Dec-14 14:21:51

have had wet ufh for past 10 years, on and under all sorts of surfaces. we installed it whilst gutting the house, the only way really. pm me if you have any specific questions

we are always lovely and toasty smile

MrsFlorrick Sun 28-Dec-14 14:49:23

Anyone installed it on upper floors (bedrooms) and did you do it under carpets??

sacbina Sun 28-Dec-14 14:55:29

yes, installed from underneath whilst had no ceiling. insulation between rafters underneath. carpet on top. works very well, less so in smallest bedroom with smallest loop

Madcats Sun 28-Dec-14 18:16:55

Bath is full of draughty, listed buildings so there is quite a bit of work/money being spent to investigate what can/can't be done. The city has also put a bit of thought into what listed building owners can do.

Have a look at what some people near me did with their Victorian terrace
www.bathgreenhomes.co.uk/sites/default/files/BGH-CS%20Pulteney%20Gardens.pdf

I'm sure you could get hold of them through the website "Energy Efficient Widcombe" (or PM me)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now