Talk

Advanced search

House built in 2013, what's the chance of the flue being suitable for a woodburner?

(7 Posts)
Fluffycloudland77 Sat 27-Dec-14 14:58:00

We know it has one because they said it was there for gas fires, should we want one.

Obviously we have a chimney etc.

PigletJohn Sat 27-Dec-14 17:24:21

if there is an actual fireplace with a grate, there is a chance, though a multifuel will burn cleaner.

If no fireplace, and it is designed for a gasfire, about zero chance. The flue is much smaller.

Draylon Sat 27-Dec-14 17:25:02

If by 'flue' you mean open fireplace chimney, I'd've thought fairly high, actually. I live in a 20 year old 'estate' house (detached) and we put a slot-in woodburner a couple of years ago, where the open fire previously sat. The fitter came to have a look and deemed that it was safe.

Otherwise it would've cost us another £1000 shock...

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 27-Dec-14 17:47:56

I'm going to have to ring the builders aren't I? It's a proper chimney etc and when we bought it they said it was there in case we wanted a gas fire.

I hate gas fires so I paid zero attention.

£1000 for a flue by the sound of it then? Oh well, in for a penny etc.

PigletJohn Sat 27-Dec-14 18:59:49

there is a fair chance you can look up and download the plans from the council website free. At worst you might have to pay for a hard copy. It could be very useful, and not just for the stove.

HaveToWearHeels Sat 27-Dec-14 22:02:51

We have a 2008 build with a class one flue, we were told by the builders it was a class one, so types suitable for all types of fire. This is quite interesting www.fireplacesareus.co.uk/chimney-and-flue-systems

hiddenhome Mon 29-Dec-14 22:03:29

We have a new build with no chimney and have an external chimney like this. If your flue is inadequate you can still have a stove. You need to have an external wall as the chimney continues outside and runs up the side of the house. If you haven't got an external wall, I think they can run the chimney up through the upper floor and then up into the loft and out through the roof, but that's more expensive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now