Talk

Advanced search

Shower recommendations?

(17 Posts)
shanghaismog Sat 27-Dec-14 09:38:45

I'm all out of brainpower with house build decisions. Anyone got a reasonably priced shower they can recommend? Have been looking at the Grohe Euphoria range. Doesn't have to be recessed, would like fixed head as well as the handheld bit. Someone save me from googling showers all day....(plumber is on hols).

PigletJohn Sat 27-Dec-14 09:52:41

Avoid "bar" mixers which are cheaper and not as good as the round ones.

Aqualisa are very good. You can see the entire range and list price on their website. Plumbworld and others will stock some models at reduced prices.

shanghaismog Sun 28-Dec-14 16:58:25

Great, thank you. Anything wrong with Grohe?

MillyMollyMama Sun 28-Dec-14 17:15:05

Grohe are just fine. We have also used Crosswater.

MillyMollyMama Sun 28-Dec-14 17:23:12

Hansgrohe/Axor are well made but not cheap. Depends on your budget.

RaphaellaTheSpanishWaterDog Sun 28-Dec-14 17:27:53

In our last three houses we fitted Hansgrohe Axor (montreux) and Crosswater and were very happy with both, although Hansgrohe was better quality.....

whereismagic Sun 28-Dec-14 18:40:16

Sorry for butting in but what is wrong with bar ones? We had problems with hard water damaging built-in shower mixers so are opting for external one now.

PigletJohn Sun 28-Dec-14 22:35:16

I agree that surface-mounted showers are easier to maintain and to replace than ones that are embedded in the wall. For some reason the bar ones do not seem to last so well.

IMO Grohe are overpriced and they do not appeal to my eye. Your opinion may differ.

whereismagic Sun 28-Dec-14 23:21:18

PigletJohn, are there external valves that are not cylinder? I seem to remember you rate Aqualisa showers. Hard water kills valves sooner or later and I don't want to have shower retiled.

PigletJohn Sun 28-Dec-14 23:34:10

? not cylinder ?

what do you mean?

whereismagic Sun 28-Dec-14 23:39:00

I meant the bar ones.

PigletJohn Sun 28-Dec-14 23:55:56

here are some examples of exposed ones

PigletJohn Mon 29-Dec-14 00:00:02

and here is a supplier with good prices

MuscatBouschet Mon 29-Dec-14 00:06:20

We've got this aqualisa quartz digital. www.aqualisa.co.uk/digital-showers/quartz-digital-exposed-digital-shower-with-adjustable-head/

The pipe work is exposed but it still looks nice. We have a pump above it in the loft which is quite an expensive 'silent' one. This is important if you don't want to wake the whole house up when the shower is turned on.

I'm no plumbing expert though so struggle to understand the difference between all the systems.

whereismagic Mon 29-Dec-14 00:26:01

Thank you so much.

shanghaismog Mon 29-Dec-14 08:06:20

Hard water here, thanks for the tips

wonkylegs Mon 29-Dec-14 08:38:28

We've got a fab one from abode (we've had their kitchen taps for years & they are excellent quality so decided to try their showers too)
They aren't cheap but are very good and look good too . To keep costs down we bought only the valve from them and the heads from Pura (almost identical , good quality but cheaper)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now