Talk

Advanced search

Tunbridge Wells anyone?

(13 Posts)
RainbowLoom Tue 23-Dec-14 10:26:14

I reaaaallllly want to move to the TW area, from London.DH worries it would mean dull suburban living.
We could get a very good sized house, good state schools...
Anyone else care to tell me if they moved to TW/Sevenoaks area, from London, and any regrets?

victorianhomedreamer Tue 23-Dec-14 10:33:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RainbowLoom Tue 23-Dec-14 10:35:09

Thanks Victorian. Yes everything you say is exactly what I think. I know the commute is off putting for him, but I feel like he could balance that against what everyone else in the family is gaining...

Tykeisagirl Tue 23-Dec-14 10:36:59

All of the above is true, but be warned, all the good primary schools are hugely oversubscribed. If you want to know more PM me.

Jinglebellsarenearlyhere Tue 23-Dec-14 10:39:05

Hello. We are about to do the Kent move but haven't decided on where yet - husband works in Sevenoaks, daughter will be in school near Cranbrook, me need to commute to London. We are looking edge of TW, Cranbrook, Marden area. So any Intel gratefully received and if I get any I will let you know.

PhoebeMcPeePee Tue 23-Dec-14 10:47:45

Sevenoaks (even Tonbridge) is much better for commuting as trains are quicker, more frequent, more chance of a seat & cheaper than TW although plenty of people drive cross country to Hildenborough or Tonbridge to avoid the TW service. Plenty of great primary schools in & around TW but most are heavily oversubscribed & don't forget we have the grammar system here which doesn't necessarily make for great secondary options unless your child takes. 11+ or you go to church! Lovely place to live though.

RainbowLoom Tue 23-Dec-14 10:52:45

Thanks for great responses...yes Tyke will pm you later on today.

sonjaj74 Tue 23-Dec-14 14:15:41

We moved to a tiny village, leigh, outside of 7oaks from highbury. Moved to tonbridge last week. As my husband works 7-5, commute time was important so tw was out. Easiest transition ever and don't regret a moment. We were looking at 1000sq foot places in Putney and have a 2000sq ft house in tonbridge w a big garden and walking distance from a lot. Feel free to MSG me as well if you've any questions.

RainbowLoom Tue 23-Dec-14 15:18:43

Thanks yes I will do, will take a look online at the village you mention!

kayessbee Tue 23-Dec-14 17:44:28

Yes, in-laws have just had problems post 11+ - son passed the exam but so did loads of others with higher grades so he didn't get into any grammar schools - is now in private prep waiting to get a second chance at 13.....seems like school places there are hyper competitive. Coaching pre 11+ might be a good idea....

kayessbee Tue 23-Dec-14 17:49:26

Hi jingle - we're moving back to the UK next year and likely heading to Kent too (OH family there), I'd love to live in Cranbrook but I'll need to get up to Chelsea for work once or twice a week & am not sure that I'd like to do the commute! Paddock Wood commute isn't bad, though I've only ever done it out of the busy hours!

victorianhomedreamer Wed 24-Dec-14 12:30:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

emeline Wed 24-Dec-14 12:42:20

Is TW comparable to Bath, in terms of size, feel, commute?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now