Talk

Advanced search

Is it easy to install a new washing machine in the same place as an old one?

(15 Posts)
squeezycheesy Sun 21-Dec-14 10:27:57

Just that really - old one has given up, we can get a new one by Xmas, but unlikely we could get a plumber in time.

It's integrated, will be going in exactly the same place and we're more than happy to follow instructions - but we don't have any experience or common sense sad.

vintagenurse Sun 21-Dec-14 10:43:49

Yes mega easy - look on youtube for a tutorial on how to plumb a washing machine in

FantasticMrsFoxx Sun 21-Dec-14 10:59:21

You will need to take the door off your old one. There may also be screws holding it in the base carcass. Shoogle it out of the space. Turn off your water at your main stop clock.
You will definitely have a cold water feed (blue tap) and the dirty water outlet hose. You may also have a hot water feed (red tap).
Remove the dirty water hose and stuff it with j cloth or similar so it doesn't continue to leak water everywhere.
Remove your 'water in' feed pipes then it's ready for scrapping.
Get your new machine into position and repeat the above steps in reverse.

squeezycheesy Sun 21-Dec-14 11:01:59

Thank you both - that sounds straightforward! I wondered why the place we bought it from don't do installation for integrated ones, but the person I just spoke to said it's because they worry about damage to the cupboard door etc rather than it being a tricky job.

catsofa Sun 21-Dec-14 11:09:22

Yeah the plumbing itself is dead easy, new machines hardly ever have a hot water inlet any more either, so just the one inlet and the waste pipe. The difficult bits are if any of the bolts on your existing one have rusted up, plus disposal of the old one and getting the new one into the house as they are extremely heavy.

Have a look now at which bolts you'll need to remove and spray them with a little WD40 which will then have plenty of time to sink in. Does delivery of the new one include disposal of the old one?

squeezycheesy Sun 21-Dec-14 11:11:38

We can get the old one out easily enough as we did that to see if we could work out what the problem was when it broke. The delivery people will bring the new one into the kitchen, and we've paid extra for them to take the old one away, so that just leaves the installation.

Theorientcalf Sun 21-Dec-14 16:43:15

It's easy, I've done it on my own many times, promise.

HowMuchMoreWee Sun 21-Dec-14 16:45:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Allalonenow Sun 21-Dec-14 16:51:02

I'll probably have to do this soon....
What are transport bolts please?

VivaLeBeaver Sun 21-Dec-14 16:54:08

Be careful not to rip a Lino floor <glares at dh>

catsofa Sun 21-Dec-14 17:04:49

Oh yeah, lino rips and everything else scratches horribly. Big bits of cardboard taped to the floor might help. "Walk" appliances across the floor, don't shove because you're bored now and it's nearly in anyway <glares at self>.

catsofa Sun 21-Dec-14 17:07:43

Transit bolts are 4 big bolts screwed into the back of a new machine to stop the suspension on the springy barrel from being damaged bouncing around in transit. The instructions will say how to remove them, the ones on the last machine I bought were really obvious.

Allalonenow Sun 21-Dec-14 17:26:13

Thank you! fsmile

squeezycheesy Sun 21-Dec-14 22:02:32

No lino so hopefully floor will survive - I feel like I should do a live update like the greyhound puppies . . .

catsofa Mon 22-Dec-14 00:24:26

What kind of floor do you have? I managed to scratch tiles.

Is there a thread with someone having puppies? <goes to look>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now