Talk

Advanced search

Away for Christmas - shutters open or closed?

(5 Posts)
rainyevening Sun 21-Dec-14 04:07:33

We've just moved into a new house with lovely wooden shutters in the front room.

For security, would you leave them open or closed when we're away for Christmas? (Almost a week)

My feeling is closed - then no one can see in that it's definitely empty, yet the light at night (security timer) can be seen over the top.

On the other hand, anyone watching the house would be able to see that they're not opening/closing each day.

Sorry if this is a daft question - a house is new to us having come from a lifetime of flats! And having moved so close to Christmas, we don't really have the time/money to sort a burglar alarm (though we have had the locks changed and there is a London bar on the front door).

Thanks a lot.

wowfudge Sun 21-Dec-14 09:42:02

We don't have shutters, but we don't draw the curtains closed when we go away and never have - drawn curtains during the daytime just look odd to me. I really think it is down to your personal choice. Could you have the shutters closed with the slats open and a light on a timer from when it goes dark to bedtime? I'd probably go for that as your shutters add extra security for the windows. If you can put a radio on too that can be good deterrent as voices can be heard.

PigletInABlanketJohn Sun 21-Dec-14 09:59:18

Do you mean plantation shutters?

I think, like venetian blinds, put them open a bit, tilted so that from outside you can only see the ceiling, and the light shows.

Have several table lamps, set on different timers, coming on at different times, in bedroom/hall/landing/living room, to give the impression of people getting up/moving around/going to bed. You can use timers even when at home, modern energy-saving lamps are very cheap to run. The older mechanical type with segments on a circle have multiple half-hour switching. Also you can get supermart clock radios for a few pounds, have one in the kitchen for the afternoon, one or more in the living room to come on in the evening, tuned to different stations.

If you are friendly with the neighbours, invite them to park outside over the break (they might be having visitors) and ask if they would kindly poke post through the letterbox, or hide parcels. However the fewer people that know you are away, the better.

I am told that burglars are not early risers.

rainyevening Sun 21-Dec-14 11:50:27

Ah sorry, should have been clear - no slats, just solid wood, with a gap at the top. Have bought some timers for the lights, and will leave radio on.

On the upside, it's a busy road, with friendly neighbours.

PigletInABlanketJohn Sun 21-Dec-14 11:54:26

open then. Part-draw any curtains you have.

Closed wooden shutters during the day say "house empty" to me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now