Advanced search

Landlord wont pay for window seals redone in nursery

(14 Posts)
ParsleyCake Sat 20-Dec-14 22:43:19

I'm generally clueless when it comes to DIY and my situation is that I have a baby due in the next few months and the nursery is freezing because of the strong drafts that come through the nursery windows. The landlord is not keen on getting them fixed, and I'm told the windows need new seals. The whole house needs new seals, but for obvious reasons it's really only the nursery we're worried about.

Is there any kind of easy fix to this problem which I could do myself? I don't have a lot of money.

Greencheese Sat 20-Dec-14 22:49:44

I Just did my bedroom window seal, I bought one of those rolls you stick on from B&Q and it's worked perfectly, was £4.99. Maybe try that?

ParsleyCake Tue 30-Dec-14 14:11:42

Any chance that you could provide a link to the product on their website? Or even just tell me the full brand name? Just I am having trouble finding it on the website.


specialsubject Tue 30-Dec-14 16:38:02

do you mean that the house only has single glazing? Presumably it was like that when you rented it.

Put up thick curtains (get from ebay, take when you leave). Put up the aforementioned draught excluder, it's great stuff. You can get it at Wilkinsons, B and M or even poundland.

been in exactly the same situation. I rented the place and knew it had draughty windows. It was well worth living in for other reasons - glorious old building with lovely views.

but the property I rent to someone has proper double glazing.

PigletJohn Tue 30-Dec-14 19:22:58

are they plastic windows?

Greencheese Tue 30-Dec-14 21:12:00

I'm struggling to link so I've taken a picture. It's a cheap quick fix.

ParsleyCake Thu 01-Jan-15 11:25:52


ParsleyCake Thu 01-Jan-15 11:26:16

No glass windows lol

ArsenicFaceCream Thu 01-Jan-15 11:43:56

I think she meant the frames Parsley. PVCu rather than timber or metal?

Marmitelover55 Thu 01-Jan-15 11:59:01

Ooh is pigletjohn a she not a he???

ArsenicFaceCream Thu 01-Jan-15 12:19:21

Erm no idea. I just default to 'she' on MN blush

ParsleyCake Sat 03-Jan-15 23:06:25

Oh haha... PVC then sorry

PigletJohn Sun 04-Jan-15 00:37:48

if you think it is getting in round gaps where the opening casement meets the frames, experimentally stick cling film over the cracks (you can use tape but the glue is hard to clean off)

If it is, get a roll of EDPM P-section draught excluder. It is available in white, black or brown and is easy to wipe clean (unlike foam strip). You must clean the surface before you stick it on as it does not stick to dirt.

If, however, the draught is coming in because there is a gap between the frame and the wall, partly concealed with plastic trim, that is more complicated to fill neatly, but very common with replacement windows pit into an older house.

Once you seal the draughts, your home will need extra ventilation, or you will get condensation.

PigletJohn Sun 04-Jan-15 00:40:20

EPDM, apparently

sold in DIY sheds.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: