Talk

Advanced search

Where to position kitchen, dining, seating zones in L shape open room.

(10 Posts)
Somethingtodo Thu 18-Dec-14 11:37:57

So that we make the biggest impact of the garden and rural views.

L shape will be mirror image iyswim - so base of L will face left - like this _l

All of the outside garden side wall of the mirror image L will be glass.
The base of the L faces west and the vertical of the L faces south...the best view is SW.

So if you have followed any of that - well done ! ...which part of the L is best for light and views and what should go in that part? Kitchen , table or seating....

WhispersOfWickedness Thu 18-Dec-14 12:31:31

Is it like the kitchen picture on this one but flipped the other way? Is it bigger/smaller?

pootlebug Thu 18-Dec-14 12:43:14

How big is the L? What has to fit in? Is the glass moveable (or some of it?) How big is the kitchen section?

If you imagine the L as 3 squares, we have sitting area in 1 square (the one that has the log burner), kitchen in the back square, dining area in the other end of the L. Dining area opens up on two sides (sitting area only on one) so that it feels more like eating outside on a summers day without having to have a separate dining table outdoors. It's also more convenient to walk that way to the dining table because of the orientation of the kitchen island.

Somethingtodo Thu 18-Dec-14 12:59:42

Many thanks Whisper - yes like that and flipped the other way -- but where the sink is in the picture and the rhs wall of the dining space - this would be floor to ceiling glass - all opening... ... it is not built yet!

The the base of the L - ie existing house space is 30ftx30ft ... have not decided how big the arm/vertical of the L should be -- that would depend on what we put in it...

I am thinking that the logical position for the kitchen is in the middle of the L? with seating to one side and dining to the other? - but which one goes where?

Procrastinatingpeacock Thu 18-Dec-14 17:36:53

If this is your only downstairs living space then think about kitchen noise and smell as well, especially if you don't have a separate utility room. We have a similar layout and have kitchen in the short end of the L (kind of round the corner), dining area in the middle and living/ seating area at the top of the L. It works quite well for us as it means you can sit and watch telly/ chat in the living area without being drowned out by the extractor fan. Also if you have small DC it is good to have the kitchen tucked away a bit so they are less likely to career into the oven whilst running around.

Somethingtodo Thu 18-Dec-14 19:27:15

Pootlebug...that is a lovely idea that the table feels like out doors - as i do hate patio furniture cluttering the view and access directly outside the kitchen...so would that suggest I put the dining in the st facing arm of the L.

Procrastinating - yep there will be a separate utility, formal lounge and then TV snug/family room - as with 4 kids I need to lock the noise away and detest TV in the kitchen open plan area.

pootlebug Fri 19-Dec-14 06:45:41

Also think about kitchen extractor and how far it is to outside wall etc. Ours is on an island, but with a powerful external motor (external so that it is powerful enough to extract efficiently, but quiet in an open-plan living space).

Somethingtodo Fri 19-Dec-14 09:02:56

Thanks pootlebug - I chose my dishwasher on decibels - paid more for quieter!

pootlebug Fri 19-Dec-14 14:35:19

if you are south facing with lots of glass, it might be worth thinking about blinds or something? ours are inside the glass of the sliding doors (between the two layers of glazing) so that we can keep the sun out if needed

Somethingtodo Fri 19-Dec-14 17:49:59

Thats a good tip ...... So def the dining in southfacing arm then rather than seating?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now