Talk

Advanced search

Residential heritage grant question

(7 Posts)
pebbles77 Tue 16-Dec-14 19:35:56

I wonder if there is anyone out there that could help.

We've just bought a Grade 2 listed house in Kent and have a 60ft x 20ft Victorian greenhouse. Pretty much all the glass is broke and although the original fittings (that would open and close all the glass) are still in situ, they no longer work. There's still the boiler room underneath but again it doesn't work.

We would really really like to restore it to it's former glory however it literally is a lottery win dream to be able to afford to do this.

I had a planning officer around today to talk about works we are wanting to do to the house and she suggested that we applied for a grant to help with the restoration of the green house.

Does anyone know whether this is something we can do as it's residential and not commercial and also how we go about it.

Thanks so much in advance

FloweryDuchessa Wed 17-Dec-14 10:29:21

It really depends on your property. There use to be more grants for listed buildings but there were a lot of cuts and now only grade I or Grade II* tend to be considered.

I would call up your local branch of English Heritage and ask them. Also maybe call the Victorian Society? They would at least be able to point you in the direction of grants if any are available.

OliviaBenson Wed 17-Dec-14 12:47:40

Some local planning authorities offer their own grants (becoming rarer but they are out there). Maybe that's what they were referring to?

JeffDjevdet Wed 17-Dec-14 17:54:30

The Planning Officer might steer you in the right direction.

PinkOboe Wed 17-Dec-14 19:20:26

I think it's highly unlikely you'll get a grant for a private, grade II property

You could look at the SPAB website and the Architecturak Hetitage Fubd (actial building preservation trust funding only though) for advice on how to tackle a project

pebbles77 Wed 17-Dec-14 19:50:04

Thank you everyone for your advice. I will go and research the companies you've given me. Thanks

PinkOboe Wed 17-Dec-14 20:09:08

Ahem architectural heritage fund. Sorry, one handed typing while making dinner

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now