Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Arty commuter places?

(54 Posts)
Lostmarblez Tue 16-Dec-14 10:39:36

Exploring moving at the moment. Looking for a commutable arty/creative type town/village to London. Commute up to an hour. Maybe slightly more for right place. Have £700k max. Need 3 bed min. Have 2 children. Where would you recommend?! TIA x

lastnightIwenttoManderley Tue 16-Dec-14 10:53:51

Can you expand a little on the arty/creative type thing? Do you actually want crafting on your doorstep? Or more just a place which has a more culturally diverse attitude rather than Middle England pearls and twinsets?

Any preference on direction out of London i.e. Family in Kent/ Scotland/Hampshire which would steer you?

RCheshire Tue 16-Dec-14 10:59:02

Knitting clubs I assumed ... sorry OP!

I'll assume you mean what I'd mean by that - which means places like hebden, totnes and Brighton. No places I know of like those closer to London. Lots try to be but end up a little "middle England wannabe edgy"

Somethingtodo Tue 16-Dec-14 11:05:48

There are lots of places with a chi-chi cafe culture (Tunbridge Wells, St Albans, Winchester etc) -- but this is nothing more than middle class chains of coffee hops and restaurants....I think that the home counties are a victim of being so close to world class arts in London so just cant compete...only other suggestions are Cambridge or Oxford?

bigTillyMint Tue 16-Dec-14 11:05:57

Whitstable is pretty arty, but might be a longer commute?

Blue69 Tue 16-Dec-14 11:36:59

It would be Brighton, wouldn't it?

Bramshott Tue 16-Dec-14 11:40:17

London does this wierd sort of "sucking" effect and its quite difficult to find a vibrant cultural scene without going a fair distance out, as people have said. You will probably have to decide what's most important to you - ease of transport links or the arty/creative stuff. Normally the worse the former, the better the latter...

toadhillflax Tue 16-Dec-14 15:31:27

Cranbrook, Kent? No chains, all independent shops/cafes, theatre groups, a fair few galleries, art studios etc.

Lostmarblez Tue 16-Dec-14 17:31:35

Yes as I suspected not much out there within reach of London. Yes not so much knitting on doorstep but that wider arty independent type feel I guess I mean.

Lostmarblez Tue 16-Dec-14 17:32:32

Lastnight any direction really if we ca find somewhere we could see ourselves living.

Lostmarblez Tue 16-Dec-14 17:34:06

Toadhill will take a look at cranbrook.

Lostmarblez Tue 16-Dec-14 17:35:11

Sorry drip posting here....Cambridge sounds interesting. Dh not keen on Brighton. I quite like it.

Hedgehogsbuzz1 Tue 16-Dec-14 17:35:24

Wolvercote near Oxford is quite alternative I've heard. No idea if it's true.

newgirl Tue 16-Dec-14 17:36:24

St Albans has a film fest, a lit fest, 4 theatres, a new indie cinema? Does that help?

JulyKit Tue 16-Dec-14 17:36:24

Lewes sounds right up your strasse, Lost.
That said, IMO there's 'artiness' anywhere if you're willing to look for it - or if you've the creativity and charisma (and spare time) to get the ball rolling yourself. But if you want to buy into obvious 'artiness' then look no further than Brighton/Lewes.

Lostmarblez Tue 16-Dec-14 17:37:21

Am a bit nervous about the middle England chain culture thing but perhaps I'm being shortsighted and out of touch. Thought about TW or St. Albans but it doesn't quite sit well. Though schools good!

JulyKit Tue 16-Dec-14 17:38:59

Yep, Wolvercote's lovely (v v expensive indeed). Quite 'alternative' especially along the canal - but I'm thinking a musty houseboat probably isn't what Lost is looking for grin and I'm not sure £700k would get something that fab for a family in N Oxford.

overmydeadbody Tue 16-Dec-14 17:39:01

No, not Cambridge.

Cambridge is the opposite of Arty.

It is full of engineers and maths professors.

If you're looking for arty it is not here (in Cambridge)

JulyKit Tue 16-Dec-14 17:39:56

What's wrong with Tunbridge and St Albans Lost?

ocelot41 Tue 16-Dec-14 17:39:56

Wivenhoe but a bit over an hour? Canterbury?

Lostmarblez Tue 16-Dec-14 17:40:41

July true true there is...

And yes perhaps I should instigate it and not "buy" into it

Good food for thought chaps

ocelot41 Tue 16-Dec-14 17:44:32

Wye is also a beautiful Kent village with a sizable greeny community and is within a hop skip and a jump of Ashford International which is 37 mins to KX. I luffs it. Quieter than Lewes, Totnes etc though.

JulyKit Tue 16-Dec-14 17:45:12

The thing is, Lost, I'm not sure that 'arty' and 'commuter' sit that well side by side, IYSWIM... grin

I'd love to be that person who gets 'artiness' going in an area where it's not really been much of a thing, BTW! It's a bit of a fantasy of mine, truth be told. blush

JulyKit Tue 16-Dec-14 17:45:59

Ooh,I like the sound of Wye...

overmydeadbody Tue 16-Dec-14 17:47:08

Can anyone describe 'artiness' anyway, what would it look like in a town?

Maybe Cambridge does have what it takes?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now