Talk

Advanced search

Is there such a thing as a comfortable airbed for a teenage boy?

(10 Posts)
stargirl04 Mon 15-Dec-14 21:58:29

Hi,

I have family coming to stay this weekend and need an extra bed, ideally for a 13-year-old boy but, realistically (because I'm a soft touch), I will probably end up sleeping on it!

The trouble is, my flat is tiny, with limited storage, so even a compact folding bed isn't ideal.

For ease of storage, I thought an inflatable airbed would be best, but I having slept on them myself, they are horribly uncomfortable things.

Is there such a thing as a comfortable airbed? I'd love to hear your suggestions folks.

Thanks!

Pinkje Mon 15-Dec-14 22:28:39

We've used the thick mattress toppers from ikea for overnight guests and they are comfortable enough. You can store them rolled up or tucked under any single mattresses you have. If these are Christmas guests could you ask them to bring their own?

PrimalLass Mon 15-Dec-14 23:24:25

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001RTLKI4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

This one has been recommended on here. I'm going to order one.

NCIS Mon 15-Dec-14 23:29:02

IME 13 year old boys can sleep on a cliff edge. smile So long as they are provided with vast quantities of food and very small intervals (can you tell I'm the veteran of two teen DS's ) they can and will sleep anywhere.

DramaAlpaca Mon 15-Dec-14 23:29:22

In my experience teenage boys can sleep anywhere & won't mind an airbed at all. My sons and their friends will happily sleep on the floor if necessary and would consider an airbed at someone else's house the height of luxury.

Like a pp says, maybe ask your guests if they have one they could bring.

3BloodyKids Mon 15-Dec-14 23:35:01

whilst I agree that teens will probably sleep on a shelf, if you want a really good spare bed this self inflating mat is bloody brilliant.

I bought it for camping (after seeing recommendations here), but we use it instead of our sofa bed as it is comfy as a comfy thing.

unclerory Mon 15-Dec-14 23:36:14

We have two aerobeds. If my Mum can sleep on one then a teenager can. The trick to make them comfortable is to have enough layers below you to keep you warm, I always put a woollen blanket then a padded undersheet and (to make it really cozy) a flannelette sheet on the mattress. That is sufficient to stop the person sleeping on the bed getting cold (and we have a cold house and my Mum would say if she got cold - it was her that suggested the woollen blanket) which is the main problem with them. All those layers also stop you feeling sticky which is the other problem with a plastic mattress.

stargirl04 Tue 16-Dec-14 02:38:26

Thanks for the recommendations folks.

I liked the mat recommended by 3bloodykids but the old finances are a bit squeezed, what with it being xmas and all, so I went for the airbed recommended by PrimalLass, as it was much cheaper, and has been recommended before on Mumsnet.

Thanks MN-ers flowers

PrimalLass Tue 16-Dec-14 09:17:38

stargirl, the one I linked to has dropped a tenner since yesterday. Last night it was £49. Hope you got it at the cheaper price.

stargirl04 Wed 17-Dec-14 17:56:22

Hi PrimalLass, yes I got the discount, thanks - by accident as I bought it at about 2.30am yesterday morning, oblivious to the fact it had cost a tenner more just a few hours earlier!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now