Talk

Advanced search

new kitchen novice - help please

(4 Posts)
cansu Sat 13-Dec-14 14:24:51

Have been in first house for a year and desperately want to redo my small kitchen on small budget. Where is best to buy from given that I won't have loads to spend? Are places like Homebase etc any good? Do they also fit kitchen and do other work or do I have to price that separately. Or would I be better going for small independent type shop that will come out and look at space measure up and price for me that way?
Have never done this before and so am complete ninny with this.

roneik Sat 13-Dec-14 16:29:16

You need to work out a plan as you don't want to have the expense of replacing electric sockets . Good idea is to fit in line (about a quid each 15mm) isolators at the start of the rip out. You will not be without water during installation. You could instal the cabinets yourself and get a chippy to do the worktop for the sink . Plenty of videos on the net

wowfudge Sat 13-Dec-14 16:30:38

The likes of B&Q, Homebase and IKEA sell flat pack units for the DIY market. They offer free design services and can arrange fitting. Most feedback I've seen on their fitters is not good.

Think are you just wanting to replace the layout you've got or do you want to change it to suit you better and perhaps make better use of the space?

I would go and have a look round some showrooms, look online and in home magazines to get an idea of what you like. Price up what you want in B&Q, etc and get some quotes from kitchen firms too so you can compare them. If you can't work out how best to refit the kitchen, ask for ideas at the design stage. A good kitchen firm will suggest creative ways to do things and fit things in.

There is nothing to stop you buying the units in IKEA and paying a joiner/kitchen fitter to put it in either. The more work you can do yourself, the bigger cost savings you will make. So if you are prepared to remove old units and build the new ones, you will save money.

FantasticMrsFoxx Sun 14-Dec-14 09:20:59

If you are not changing the layout, and your carcasses are in good condition, you could just consider changing your door / drawer fronts and handles. If you are a competent DIYer this is a weekend job.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now