Talk

Advanced search

Are the agents just being agents?

(5 Posts)
boba1978 Thu 11-Dec-14 16:21:36

So we're in a 5-house chain, and we're slap bang in the middle. Offers were made and accepted at the end of October, since which time things have been a bit slow - mostly while people got their mortgages finalised etc. Our bank were REEEEEALLY slow approving ours, because the advisor dealing with us went off sick and his work didn't get covered. Marvellous!

But anyway, surveys are all done apart from the last one, which is due this coming Monday, and solicitors are all primed to exchange.

But the top of the chain keep threatening - through their agent - to pull out if we don't exchange before Christmas. It's daft: firstly, we almost certainly will. Secondly, sure this is a hollow estate agent threat so they can get their spivvy little hands on their commission all the sooner, isn't it? What possible benefit would there be to the top of the chain pulling out over timescales? It's not like pulling out would bring their sale any closer!

GRRR!

Please tell me this is just estate agent bullsh*t!

Bowlersarm Thu 11-Dec-14 16:25:29

I don't think it's estate agent bullshit. I don't think they'd jeopardise the sale falling through by putting pressure on needlessly.

Why don't you make an appointment to go round and 'measure up', then you can have a chat with the vendor directly.

boba1978 Thu 11-Dec-14 16:28:07

It's not our vendor - it's our vendor's vendor. We've got a good relationship with our vendor, and have been round a few times to size up.

So if it's not just flannel to move the sale along, what possible motivation could there be to want to pull out entirely, just because things aren't moving as fast as they'd like? It's not like they'd get the money any faster in a new transaction!

specialsubject Thu 11-Dec-14 16:42:43

no, it isn't the agent, it is the vendor who wants to make sure no-one dozes off.

That said, as a buyer I threatened to pull out because our seller was repeatedly delaying the transaction as she didn't want to go into rental as she had promised. We were being treated as little people. My solicitor talked me into continuing, and I'm really glad I did. She did go into rental in the end!

Bowlersarm Thu 11-Dec-14 16:50:38

Oh yes sorry, you said it was the person at the top. People do get like that, must be the stress I guess.

Could you ask your agent to find out more via the agent above, or directly with the agent at the top, and report back to you. There may be a reason which isnt filtering through to you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now