Talk

Advanced search

Recommend a paint colour for a dark hallway

(23 Posts)
BingBong36 Thu 11-Dec-14 11:26:11

Hi all,

I live in a Victorian semi with a narrow long hall way with no windows.

I love farrow and ball as the colours are to my taste. We have a picture rail so that will be white, with white above that and white skirting boards (or off white ) . At present it is a very boring cream.

Thank you

Spindelina Thu 11-Dec-14 14:28:28

We've got Dayroom Yellow. Our stairwell is very bright at the top (we have a skylight), and seriously dingy at the bottom where the hall leads to the front door, so we need something that would work with both. The walls are cheery, if nothing else!

Eastwickwitch Thu 11-Dec-14 15:48:21

I think you should embrace the darkness. Choose a bold colour that you love.
One of my halls in Skimming Stone and, whilst tasteful, looks a bit drab.
My other is Shaded White and it looks quite dramatic.

Artistic Sat 13-Dec-14 00:27:16

Buttercup yellow? A bit more cheerful shade of magnolia actually. We have the same situation though we have windows on the stairs...so a bit of light but still a rather long hallway with dark areas. We've done a matt finish as I didn't want it to look shiny given some areas of light /dark. Looks good & cheerful - certainly lifts up the dark areas.

BingBong36 Sat 13-Dec-14 08:16:39

Thanks for your replies, not over keen on yellow tbh. But I'll have a look at this suggested.

Anyone used cabbafe white FB?

Bunbaker Sat 13-Dec-14 08:20:32

I hate dark hallways. They are gloomy and not very welcoming so I wouldn't want to take the advice of embracing the darkness. I know it sounds boring, but I would just paint it white.

MilkThistle187 Sat 13-Dec-14 08:27:12

My all time favourite F & B colour is calamine, I have used it in lots of rooms, it is beautiful, soft and nuanced, and great with white. Try out a tester pot

BingBong36 Sat 13-Dec-14 15:44:09

I'll take a look at calamine thank you.

Had thought of white but worry about kids hand prints

Eastwickwitch Sat 13-Dec-14 17:28:40

If you're not keen on embracing the dark Dimpse is a lovely light colour.

Blackeyez09 Sat 13-Dec-14 18:57:31

I'm going to use strong white as I am going for a grey contemporary theme throughout

BingBong36 Sun 14-Dec-14 18:18:22

Will look at dimpse thanks .

dS bedroom is strong white, I love it .

BingBong36 Sun 14-Dec-14 18:20:22

Just google Dimpse looks lovely but how would you describe it?

Looks green but some reviews say bluey?

trashcansinatra Sun 14-Dec-14 18:25:43

We're using Elephant's Breath but it isn't on yet so can't tell. It's supposed to be one of those greys that looks different in different light and on different walls.

BingBong36 Sun 14-Dec-14 19:04:36

I've heard great things about elephants breath, I have had a tester but the colour wasn't right for my house.

pashmina696 Sun 14-Dec-14 19:12:58

I have a similar hall - we used dulux polished pebble which i really like, the greige colours just looked awful.

Spindelina Sun 14-Dec-14 19:45:17

We've got Elephant's Breath in our bedroom, which is also fairly lacking in natural light. It's inoffensive, calming and restful. Great for a bedroom. But I'd always go for light colours in a narrow space.

Eastwickwitch Sun 14-Dec-14 19:45:32

I have Elephants Breath too on the landing and stairs and a bedroom, it's on the woodwork and wardrobes with Skimming Stone. Very tasteful but might be too dark for your hall if you're looking to lighten.

Dimpse is a pale creamy/ivory, I have it on a ceiling & panelling with Joas White. It's restful.

Just done a whole house so am dreaming F&B colours at the mo.

DoItTooJulia Sun 14-Dec-14 19:49:50

Cornforth White is nice, but not really white.
www.farrow-ball.com/cornforth-white/colours/farrow-ball/fcp-product/100228

I did yellow in my hall. It was awful. I've just repainted cream until I decide on a new colour, so watching with interest!

BingBong36 Sun 14-Dec-14 20:42:49

Thanks all, I love any grey paint but our dining room is pale great ( little green) , DS is strong white, front room slipper satin, bathroom a very dark grey, I need something that us not grey!

Any more suggestions welcome thanks x

BingBong36 Sun 14-Dec-14 20:46:00

Polished pebble looks nice !!

Eastwickwitch Sun 14-Dec-14 21:01:18

Blackened is a lovely pale blue in my kitchen but I think it might look more grey in darker space.
Oxford Stone is a great colour, might be worth a look?

pashmina696 Mon 15-Dec-14 15:54:33

Ha ok - just did my kitchen in York white - again it has almost no daytime light and is a traditional colour for hallways apparently. It is a sandy beige and is really nice.

Cedar03 Mon 15-Dec-14 16:00:11

We have a very dark stairway - only natural light is from the front door window. We have white otherwise it would be very dark. At the top of the stairs we have a wall which faces straight down and does get a bit more light and this is painted a dark raspberry colour. Works well to add some colour to the room without overpowering the whole thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now