Talk

Advanced search

Short curtains above a radiator? The work of the devil?

(39 Posts)
AWombWithoutAFoof Wed 10-Dec-14 16:23:57

Need to sort out curtains before we freeze to death. Short curtains are awful, aren't they? But what else to do above a radiator? Tuck curtains behind? Bunch up on top?

burnishedsilver Wed 10-Dec-14 16:50:51

Romans?

wowfudge Wed 10-Dec-14 17:04:10

Nothing wrong with short curtains - lots of curtain snobbery around. But they need to end between sill and radiator.

AWombWithoutAFoof Wed 10-Dec-14 17:19:40

Yes, I wondered about a roman blind, but I've only made one before and the bastard still hasn't found its folds after five months. I'm guessing that will still be warmer than the venetian we already have?

I like your firm defence of short curtains, fudge. grin Perhaps they won't look so weird as they'll match the full length patio doors ones on the other wall.

SilasGreenback Wed 10-Dec-14 17:49:05

We are currently in a rented house with long curtains over radiators and it is very cold, so we bunch them on the window sill. Next year I shall make new curtains for the new house and they will all stop between sill and radiator. You can always have fake long things at the side if you want to dress the window I guess.

Mrsladybirdface Wed 10-Dec-14 17:51:16

we have full length patio curtains and then short ones over the window and they look lovely. in fact it would look odd if they were full length too as the window is smaller.

think of the money you'll save too!

Chasingsquirrels Wed 10-Dec-14 18:08:21

I've never heard of this except on here. All mine end between the windowsill and the radiator, except 1 which I brought too long and have never done anything about as they are in a not-much-used room - they do look nice when open and pulled back but are a pain in the neck if I want to close them as they cover the radiator.

PigletJohn Wed 10-Dec-14 18:12:38

you can buy or make a shelf that goes over the top of the radiator, to direct warm airflow out into the room, with the curtains brushing the top of the shelf.

It must be project further than both the radiator and the curtain

Bunbaker Wed 10-Dec-14 18:16:45

I have short curtains that end above the radiator in my living room. The patio doors opposite have long curtains. They don't look odd and my living room is nice and warm because we aren't losing the heat into the window space.

Orangeanddemons Wed 10-Dec-14 18:24:39

It's only ever on mumsnet that I have found this inane dislike of short curtains. I have short curtains where the radiators are below the windows. They look fine, in fact I prefer them to full length.

Someone once posted on here about how they had mock full length curtains round a window that had a radiator underneath. I don't get that at all, far too fussy and non functional. The whole thing would look wrong to me. I could get into a whole purist design debate about form follows function, but I won't.grin.

Short ones all the way.

LadySybilLikesSloeGin Wed 10-Dec-14 18:30:03

Heat rises, so you need curtains which are long enough to bunch on the window sill to stop the heat from going out of the window pane. Long curtains won't work because of this.

Sizzlesthedog Wed 10-Dec-14 18:35:07

Ahh, radiators.

I don't have any therefore you lot are stealth boasting.

Pusspuss1 Wed 10-Dec-14 18:41:15

I despise short curtains, in much the same way that I despise short sleeved shirts on men <shudder>. No idea why. However, I too have this radiator/curtain dilemma. Am thinking roman blinds...

specialsubject Wed 10-Dec-14 19:20:01

bunbaker are you in my lounge? smile

what's wrong with short curtains? It's not even style over function, they look fine!

PigletJohn Wed 10-Dec-14 19:22:10

this is one of the reasons why modern practice is to put radiators in a place which is not under a window.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Wed 10-Dec-14 19:24:22

Have a long edge made on each side so when they are open they look floor length, and its only when they are closed they look short (woth a length at each side).

Melawen Wed 10-Dec-14 19:31:04

My curtains are just slightly longer than the sill, but tuck in quite nicely behind the radiators at the top!

mysteryfairy Wed 10-Dec-14 19:33:33

My friend once told me short curtains are very passé. The source of her info - firm that made her curtains. Can't imagine any self interested reason they might want everyone to buy long ones!

ChippingInAutumnLover Wed 10-Dec-14 19:37:56

Anyone willing to share their short curtain photos?

Imperialleather2 Wed 10-Dec-14 19:38:50

How about shutters? We've noticed a real improvement in warmth since having ours fitted..

AWombWithoutAFoof Wed 10-Dec-14 21:34:09

Ooh, how much are shutters? I was planning on making curtains to save money, but love the idea of shutters, particularly if they keep the heat in.

bunchoffives Wed 10-Dec-14 22:00:44

I made my short curtains with curtain weight ropes sewn in to the hem.

This means they sit very securely on the windowsill in the winter when I want the radiator heat from below to travel up the curtain and in to the room rather than through the window.

long curtains on the floor are unhygienic and minging imo

iggymama Wed 10-Dec-14 23:16:46

I am about to order new curtains for my living room. I will have floor length on the French doors but short ones at the window, a couple of inches longer than the top of the radiator so I can tuck behind.
I am intrigued by bunchoffives weighted ropes and quite fancy adding them if possible.

bunchoffives Wed 10-Dec-14 23:22:17

weighted curtain ropes/tapes

Canyouforgiveher Wed 10-Dec-14 23:22:28

Shutters would be lovely. I think I would do roman blinds rather than short curtains. Short curtains are a marmite thing I think. if you loathe them (and I do) you really can never reconcile yourself to them. In fact curtains have to trail slightly on the floor to pass my test. DH is in therapy about that one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now