Talk

Advanced search

cabinets above 90cm fridge freezer

(9 Posts)
Mapleleaf3 Wed 10-Dec-14 14:43:24

Maybe somebody on here has found something that would work?

We are hoping to buy a 90cm Fisher & Paykel Fridge Freezer, to go in the new Ikea kitchen. I would like to use the space above the FF wisely and thought that cabinets would be sensible. Obv they need to be 60cm deep (or so), but Ikea only does this depth with a width of 60cm. Which is no good. Ideally I would have a 90cm width or two 45cm or even two 40cm ones, with cover panels to hide the gaps. But I am not seeing this anywhere on the Ikea website. Has anybody found similar?

If not, what other options are there? I would like the cabinet doors to match the rest of the kitchen, so not sure how easy it would be to buy just this cabinet from a different company.

Any other ideas? Fridge is 179cm high and I think the space will be about 2.5m, so a 60cm high cabinet is probably what I need. But it is the width that is the issue, with this particular fridge.

Thanks in advance.

PigletJohn Wed 10-Dec-14 17:10:42

you can use a floor cabinet carcase, and hang it on the wall, fitting the doors of your choice. As it will be heavier than an ordinary wall cabinet, I would use two set of cab hangers, one pair near the top and one near the bottom. It has to be hung off the sides, not the back which is much weaker. The adjustable hangers screw to the sides. It will be stronger to hang them on cabinet rail, which is steel strip much longer than the usual little hanging brackets, so can have more screws. If there are tall cabinets beside it, screw it to them near the bottom of the sides, at the front.

PigletJohn Wed 10-Dec-14 17:13:09

If you can't find a cab to fit, find a careful joiner of carpenter to make you one out of 18mm ply. Give him the doors you have chosen first so he can make it to fit.

LucyPie Thu 11-Dec-14 14:52:13

If it is the french style fridge/freezer there are other makes available too - I had only seen the F&P one when I first started looking but have now gone for a Samsung. Still in box as kitchen not ready yet.

ContentedSidewinder Thu 11-Dec-14 20:20:53

I have an american fridge freezer flanked by two tall larder units (Ikea from last year before they changed the range)

I used a wall cabinet 92cm high and turned it on its side. It is only the depth of a wall cabinet but looks like a horizontal cabinet. It only works because it is level at the front with the two larder cabinets so there is a gap behind but you can't see it.

It won't be to everybody's taste but it worked for us. I have two cover panels down the sides of the larder units giving us a bit of wriggle room to be able to get the fridge freezer in ie the 92cm plus 2.6cm (I think) for the cover panel thickness.

poocatcherchampion Mon 15-Dec-14 18:09:28

or you could use a 20cm IKEA next to the fridge?

or they do have long cabinets - 140cm and 80cm if that helps? both 40high with doors that go up and over?

Pinkje Mon 15-Dec-14 21:44:35

Your fridge will be deeper than 60cm if it's the same one I've got, think it's more like 75cm. I'll check.

Pinkje Mon 15-Dec-14 21:48:52

this

If it is this one it is 695mm deep.

Mapleleaf3 Wed 31-Dec-14 14:37:47

Thanks for all of your thoughts, lots of good ideas here. Have been thinking about all of your suggestions and looking at what ikea has and think we may have a solution. Hoping to have high 240cm cabinets on either side of the fridge, both 600cm deep. Fridge will obv poke out further, to nearly 700cm (same as yours, pinkje), but am hoping that will look ok. Will mean doors can open easily, on the fridge. Above fridge, will use the ikea cabinets that are 60cm wide and 40cm tall (depth 60), but will tip them on their sides, so that they are 60 high and 40 wide. Will obv have to figure out shelves etc inside, but that should hopefully not be impossible. So, that takes us to 80cm wide and then I figure we can just fill the extra gaps with the ikea panels, which will match the cupboard doors. It should all look very symmetrical and will hopefully maximise the space for storage, while using all ikea stuff, so that all the doors should match.

It all makes perfect sense in my head, hope it works as well as this IRL!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now